Monday, August 11, 2003

All corn is not created equal.

I was raised in the Midwest and I know that there is a difference when it comes to corn. Anyone who was raised in the Midwest knows their corn. I'm not talking about popcorn or corn nuts or bags of frozen corn or canned corn. I'm talking about corn-on-the-cob. Not field corn. This is what is fed to the cattle. It is not sweet. It tastes bland and potato-like and very starchy. This isn't to say that potatoes taste bad. I love potatoes. However, I really don't care to have my corn taste like potatoes. On the other hand, I don't expect my potatoes to taste like corn but that's a whole other subject. The corn-on-the-cob that I had in South America was.... The South Americans were very proud of their corn so I won't say anything other then it was the most interesting potato-on-a-cob that I've ever had. I prefer eating Sweet Corn. Good old Midwestern grown sweet corn. Nothing is better then fresh sweet corn. OK. Chocolate is better but we're talking about corn.

I had sweet corn for supper tonight. Just sweet corn. You really don't need to have more for a meal then good sweet corn, dripping with melted butter with just a light sprinkling of salt. The sweet corn I had for supper tonight wasn't sweet. Sweet corn is supposed to be sweet. It wasn't as bad as field corn but the corn I cooked up for supper wasn't sweet. I've had sweet corn like this before. Sad but true. Sweet corn tends to lose its sweetness after sitting in a hot truck all day. What did I expect? I only paid 10 cents an ear and I bought it at the grocery store. "Penny wise, dollar foolish". I have bought good corn from a grocery store in the past but this just wasn't one of those times. I know I should have bought it this morning, fresh picked, from one of our local farmers. My fault entirely. I was at the grocery store and I was blinded by what looked like "a target of opportunity". Sigh. The corn wasn't bad. Not like the corn... Oops, I almost insulted South American corn again. My corn wasn't as bad as field corn but it wasn't sweet. It'll be fine if I cut it off the cob and reheat it with a little sugar or make cream corn out of it. Waste not want not. I'll just have to make another meal of corn (sweet corn) before the summer ends. Next time I'll do it right. Fresh picked from the field. Served steaming hot with heaps of butter. MMMMM!

Cliche of the Day

Sadder and (But) Wiser. Having learned from experience (usually a difficult or unpleasant one). "Sad and wise" was an expression of the 16th century, carrying the suggestion that experience makes one sad or sober. These lines appear in The Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Samuel Taylor Coleridge (1798):

He went like one that hath been stunned,
And is of sense forlorn:
A sadder and a wiser man,
He rose the morrow morn.

No comments: