Friday, August 08, 2003

Did you realize that a bridal veil costs almost as much as a bridal gown? What's with that? Gowns are expensive. It was that way when I got married 25 years ago too. There just isn't enough material in those veils to justify that kind of expense. I ended up making my veil 25 years ago and I probably should have made my daugher's veil too. I showed my daughter my old wedding pictures so she could see my gown and my veil. I probably should have shown her those pictures before we bought that expensive bridal veil. Too late now. On the positive side the veil matches the gown. I had to do some fancy handwork to get my veil to match my gown...25 years ago they didn't make ecru lace in the same pattern as the lace in my dress. I could only get white. Coffee to the rescue. For dying not for drinking. I may play with the store bought veil when I get back to Arizona to dress it up a bit. I crochet, I tat, I do beading, I can make a heck of nicer bridal veil then those store bought veils. As a side note, I was told that my gown was old-fashioned and that my husband's tuxedo was....well I won't say. On the positive side, I was told that I looked like my oldest daughter (sorry dear...I know that daughters don't like to be told that they look like their Mom) and my husband looked like Elvis (Elvis lives!). "Thank you very much."

Cliche of the Day

Queer as a $3 Bill. Highly suspect; plainly phony; of dubious value. "Queer" as applied to counterfeit money goes back at least 250 years. Since there is no $3 bill, any one that turned up would be self-evidently counterfeit, or queer. John Habberton's Jericho Road (1877) offers this exchange: "'Let's give him fifty [dollars] to send her.' 'Fifty queer?' asked Mr. Lodge. 'No, fifty straight,' said the little man."

No comments: