Sunday, August 31, 2003

I ran out of pickling salt. You need pickling salt when you make pickles. Actually, I think you can use any salt as long as it isn't rock salt or "when it rains, it pours" iodized salt. All I had left was the later type of salt. I only use rock salt if I'm making homemade ice cream and I don't make homemade ice cream. I'm on a diet. You can use Kosher salt when you make pickles. I didn't have any of that either. Thankfully, my mother had some "salt for smoking" which also works when you make pickles so I didn't have to run out to the store again to buy pickling salt. I'm making fermented dill pickles. My grandmother used to make them. I never liked them back then but my tastes have changed over the years. My parents love them and so does my sister. A friend sent me her mother's recipe so I'm making fermented dill pickles. Just a few jars. I'll keep one for myself and give the rest away. If my tastes remain the same (if I still don't like fermented dill pickles), I will give my jar away too. Waste not, want not.

Today's Little Bit of Trivia

A shark is the only fish that can blink both eyes. Technically, I don't think the shark is a fish but I can attest to the fact that none of the fish I cleaned this summer could blink their eyes. None of them winked at me. They did flop around a bit however.

No comments: