Monday, August 04, 2003

"It's astounding, Time is fleeting, Madness takes its toll." ( Quoted from Rocky Horror Picture Show)

I only have one month before I head back to Arizona and there's so much that I need to do yet. I'm going to have to plant some dill for next year. Why I didn't think to do it last year I haven't a clue. Probably because I didn't realize or dream that I'd have tons of cucumbers to make into dill pickles. Now I have to go into town tomorrow to see if I can find some fresh dill. That's not easy because most everyone around rural Wisconsin grows their own. Why would they buy any in a store? I planted rhubarb for this very reason. With everyone growing their own rhubarb, why sell it in a store? I had a hard time finding any rhubarb plants at the nursery to plant. My mother felt sorry for me and gave me some that she split of from her plants which she undoubtably got from her mother. It's that same thing with winter onions. Something like that you inherit. Anyway, I picked a colander of green beans this morning. Another colander of cucumbers and a few more squash. I try to pick the squash before they get too big. One never knows what to do with a zucchini the size of a tree trunk. I've got a great relish recipe though and a zucchini crisp recipe waiting in the wings just in case of such an eventuality. It's amazing how something that large can creep up on you without your ever knowing. They hide and then bam!....there they are just when you're proudly showing someone your magnificent garden. It's embarrassing.

Cliche of the Day

More Here Than Meets the Eye. This is more significant than it appears. Samuel A. Hammett, who wrote under the pen name Philip Paxton, gave the following version in A Stray Yankee in Texas (1853): "There might be more in it than at first met the eye." And actress Tallulah Bankhead is credited with giving the phrase a sharp turn when she dismissed a work by Belgian-born author Maurice Maeterlinck with: "There is less in this than meets the eye."

No comments: