Sunday, August 10, 2003

I didn't write in my blog yesterday. I was guarding nature.

What possesses a person to chase a bald eagle across a lake with a Sea-doo? The bald eagle is there, minding his own business, fishing for supper and some kid on a Sea-doo decides to see if he can, I can only surmise, catch him? He said he only wanted to look at the bird. I enjoy looking at the bald eagles too but I don't feel like I have to jump on a motorized vehicle and chase them down. When the harassed bird landed on a tree up on shore, my shore, the Sea-doo Cowboy decided that he wanted to further his nature studies and hop out on shore, my shore, to explore the wilderness. I objected. I had stood in silent shock as I watched him attempt to chase down an endangered species for the sport of it but when he tried to follow the bird onto my property to further harass it that was just too much. When told that he was trespassing on private property, the Sea-doo Cowboy informed me that no-one lived on that property so he could do whatever he wanted. I told him someone (me and my entire family and extended family) indeed lives on the property, pays the taxes on the property, and he wasn't welcome on the property. The Sea-doo Cowboy road his noisy steed off into the sunset...actually only as far as the floatilla of 4 boats anchored 30 feet off my dock...but eventually they too all left. I would hope that they left in shame for their poor behavior and stupidity but I'm guessing that they were afraid that I'd call someone to report them. I should have. Poor bald eagles. Poor nature. Weekenders. Where do these people leave their brains when they come out here? Where are the game wardens when they're needed? Thankfully, I heard the loons calling early this morning as I got up so I guess they survived any encounters with the Sea-doo Cowboy I may have missed.

Cliche of the Day

Raise the Roof. Vent one's spleen; show anger; stir up an uproar. The image is of sound and action being so vigorous as to lift the roof of the room in which things are happening. Mark Twain wrote in the Century Magazine of June 1894 about a black woman watching a court trial: "When dat verdic' comes, I'se gwine to lif' dat roof, now, I tell you."

No comments: