Wednesday, August 20, 2003

I was sure that grass was gone for good...or bad. It was so dry that it crumbled into powder when you stepped on it. We got some rain. You couldn't even measure it. NOAA radio tells me that there hasn't been any rain for the month of August. By the way, there has been 0.00 inches of snow. But that unmeasureable rain sure perked up the grass. It's still pretty much a pale yellow color but it no longer crumbles. We got a bit more of that unmeasureable stuff this morning along with a lot of lightening and thunder (please note that I unplugged my computers..also please note that they are plugged back in right now because there isn't anything happening anymore). I'm hoping for some measureable stuff later on today. I'm not talking about the kind of quantity that they got in Las Vegas yesterday. Flooding in the streets. I just want enough so my grass turns green again and so that I don't have to water my plants every day so that I can still pick cucumbers, lettuce, tomatoes, beans, squash and peppers.

Today's Little Bit of Trivia

I remember long distance phone calls when I was growing up. My parents never discussed phone bills back then but I remember that IF you made a long distance phone call, you always kept the call REALLY short. We rarely called anyone long distance and yes, we did have people who we could have called. My parents and my in-laws still have a tendency to try and keep those long distance calls as short as possible. I'm sure it's a sort of knee-jerk reaction to the cost of long distance phone calls while they were young. I know that I've always thought that the cost per minute of long distance phone calls have made me wonder if the cost of maintaining a cell phone might be of interest. But talk is cheap now compared to what it once was. In 1915, a telephone call from New York to San Francisco cost $20.70 for the first three minutes.

No comments: