Thursday, August 14, 2003

Well it goes to show you. I decided not to worry about the news for one day and there's a huge power outage. One might think that it's all my fault that the power went out because I wasn't watching the news just as it's my fault that it rains because I washed my car? Nope. Not my fault. My thinking just isn't that screwed up. But ok already, I've got the news back on. I never would have known there was a problem if I hadn't noticed the news statement when I powered on my computer. I'm glad we've got power out here. It's a hot one today. It's actually not all that hot but the humidity is a killer. Tomorrow is supposed to be worse. I won't and I can't complain. It's 91° in New York's concrete jungle and there isn't a drop of power to run the air-conditioning. I'm glad I'm not in New York. I've never been there but I've been without air-conditioning in hot and humid weather. No fun. I wonder what nightfall will bring. Makes me think about all of those wonderful old movies like "Where Were You When the Lights Went Out?". I wonder how many new babies will be born in 9 months time? Something to ponder.

Cliche of the Day

Vanish into Thin Air. Disappear or fail (said usually of a plan, an idea or money). It used to be merely "air". Shakespeare, in a different context, envisioned "thin Ayre" in The Tempest The notion of "thin air" seems to emphasize the total disappearance of whatever it is that one is talking about. Thomas Dekker wrote, in The Guls Horne-booke (1609), of "Plaudities, and the Breath of the great Beast, which (like the threatenings of two Cowards) vanish all into aire."

No comments: