Tuesday, August 12, 2003

I've been busy today. I made two more quarts of dill pickles from the cucumbers I picked from my garden. I made five quarts of dill pickles on Saturday. I picked, cleaned, cut-up, cooked and canned 3 quarts of green beans from the garden. I boiled up another batch of crayfish caught and brought up from the traps off my dock. I still have to make the wild raspberry jam. Tomorrow. Maybe. We'll see. I'll get to it. Soon. Really. I'm told that I need to go out blackberry picking too. Maybe I'll run into my brother's lawn gnome on my berry picking venture. I'll let you know.

Cliche of the Day

Time is Ripe, The. the moment has come to do something or for something to happen. One cannot watch a plant or a whole crop ripen without thinking there is an opportune moment for almost everything. In Henry IV, Part I, Shakespeare has Hotspur, his father and his uncle (the Earl of Worcester) planning a rebellion against the kin. Hotspur and Worcester are departing; Worcester says:

Cousin, farewell: no further go in this
Than I by letters shall direct your course.
When the time is ripe, which will be suddenly....

No comments: