Monday, September 01, 2003

I've got less then two weeks left here in Wisconsin before I have to head back to Arizona. I have to squeeze in all the things that I can do here that I can't do there in those two short weeks. Today was spent canning vine ripened tomatoes. My bushel of tomatoes produced 21 quarts of peeled and diced tomatoes. In your face Martha Stewart. Hah! As a side note, I've always wondered who in their right mind makes one dozen cookies....besides Martha Stewart but I've often wondered? But then again, who would spend a whole day canning 21 quarts of peeled and diced tomatoes and in the process turn her fingernails a really odd shade of orange. Makes more sense to me then baking a single dozen of cookies. (I've got three jars of dill pickles happily fermenting on my kitchen table too.) And you wondered what I was going to do with all that pickling salt. When entering the word "salt" in Yahoo's search engine (I suppose it should have been Google), there were 9,370,000 entries listed. Just goes to show you the importance of "salt".

Today's Little Bit of Trivia

The great horned owl is the only animal that will eat a skunk. I have great horned owls right here on my property close to my house. If a great horned owl will eat a skunk, I shudder to think what they would do with my two taco bell dogs. Needless to say I keep a close eye on my dogs when I walk them after dark...prime hunting time of the great horned owl. I'm wary of bald eagles that nest on the property for the same reason. My poor babies are no bigger then a large rabbit as I walk them on leash like bait on a fishing line.



No comments: