Friday, September 19, 2003

HTP (Husband Type Person...my daughter refers to her boyfriend at BTP, Boy Type Person, so I thought I'd follow suit) and I signed up for an Italian class at the community college near us. It's really not all that close since it'll take about 1/2 hour to get there but there aren't too many places where you can learn Italian. Today, we went out and bought our class books and cassettes. I hope this doesn't end up like where we're plunked in front of a tape recorder in a language lab somewhere. Aside from the fact that I think this is a terrible way to teach a language, HTP and I only bought one set of language tapes. Being married, we figured that we could share the expensive cassettes and if this becomes impossible, we'll make another copy...mmm...maybe we should do that anyway and be on top of the game. We each got our own book though. Books are harder to copy.

After getting our school books, HTP surprised me and took me to a movie. Bill Murray. His new one. Lost in Translation. Yup! Sure was. Lost in translation. Actually, I got it. I understood it but....so what? I'm sure the critics will all exclaim and ponder the depths but I'm not into artsy movies. Sorry. I'm surprised HTP made it through the whole thing without falling into a deep sleep which would have made me thankful for his nose surgery last year. The sweet young thing that was the "love interest?" reminded me of my daughter. I put "love interest" in quotes and a question mark because I really couldn't figure that one out...I think they were just two lost and lonely people who became friends. Quite frankly, I prefered The Man Who Knew Too Little which I watched on HBO this morning while drinking my morning coffee. I always prefer comedy to drama. I get way too much drama in my reality...though sometimes the line between real drama and real comedy does tend to blur a bit. Sometimes you just need to take off your glasses.

Today's Little Bit of Trivia

The Tokyo Zoo in Japan is closed for two months a year to give the animals a vacation from the visitors. If you bother to go see Lost in Translation, you'll know why I picked this little bit of trivia.

No comments: