Tuesday, September 16, 2003

We arrived in Albuquerque early. I was exhausted. I can only think this is because my husband did all the driving. My husband is a great driver but I like to drive. I guess I'll have to make sure that I drive tomorrow.

We had a fabulous supper tonight. The half a pitcher of margaritas that I drank has nothing to do with it. Actually, I didn't drink the entire half pitcher of margaritas. I abstained from that last glassful. Really good margaritas! House margaritas too. We had supper at El Pinto. Wow! We almost turned away and left after seeing the entrance of this place. Posh! Amazing! I was envisioning women in formal gowns and men in tuxedos. I was wearing blue jeans. I felt lots better when I saw all the women in shorts and jeans. I think the lady wearing leather biker chaps was actually the one who really did the job when it came to relieving my dress code mind. No problem. My husband was leary about the amount of cars parked in the lot. He thought we'd be laughed at because we didn't have reservations. Again...no problem. The place is HUGE! I mean HUGE! They seat over 1,000 people. I'm amazed that I could find my way to and from the restrooms from our table. The wait staff was truly amazing not only because they were unusually friendly and helpful but because they don't get lost. I did notice that the various rooms are labeled with discreat signs. We had our choice of tables. Inside or out. We ate inside but after our absolutely wonderful meal, we toured the outside patio...patios and gardens and park. Yup, there's a park. I think we really must go back and eat outside on one of their patios next time. Atmosphere! Food! I had stuffed sopapillas. New Mexican cuisine at it's best. One was stuffed with marinaded pork and the other was stuffed with shredded chicken. The whole was covered with red and green chili sauce, shredded lettuce and cheese. I don't know about you but I judge my Mexican and New Mexican restaurants by their salsa and chips. No disappointment there. No way. The chips were not store bought. I would swear that they were homemade and fried. The salsa was, I hate to admit, better then my homemade salsa. I'm told that El Pinto may actually market this elixir at Walmart. What a waste! I'm not fond of Walmart. This salsa was great. None of your Pace Picante Sauce stuff. I could have been more then content just feasting on the chips and salsa...and the house margaritas. These margaritas aren't those frozen Icee type margaritas. I got the impression that Icee's are not served at this restaurant. Again El Pinto has now become my favorite Albuquerque, New Mexico restaurant. I still like Rancho De Corrales (how can one really compete with a good ghost story?) but the food at El Pinto blew the cobwebs out of my mind. I will return to El Pinto. Good thing I don't live here in Albuquerque...diet, don't you know. By the way, I did note that there are many vegetarian and lowfat selections on the extensive menu. Since I don't stop in Albuquerque more then twice a year...I threw away my diet and endulged. You who live in Albuquerque may judge the lowfat and vegetarian cuisine on your own time. El Pinto has a website so you can explore at your leissure. As I said before, I will return to sample more of their fine cuisine the next time I return to Albuquerque. June? Something to look forward to.

Today's Little Bit of Trivia

The words loosen and unloosen mean the same thing. My tongue becomes loosened...or unloosened after I drink half a pitcher of margaritas.

No comments: