Saturday, September 09, 2006

Word of the Day

Tacktician-Upholsterer.

We're home. Home Again, home again, jiggidy jog. Or...is it jiggity jog. I keep these little tidbits of nursery rhymes stored in a seldom used corner of my mind. At one time I had one whole book of nursery rhymes memorized. The book was a favorite of my children. We read it to death and then we bought another one just like it to replace the first. My children had those rhymes memorized too. I remember that I'd start a phrase and the kids would chime in and finish it. Actually, the first part of the rhyme isn't appropriate for the occasion at all but the second part....It's really good to be home.

Funerals are what they are. This was the first time I attended a Catholic funeral. It was different from the funerals that I have previously attended but not really. It was what it was. An opportunity to say good-bye, and opportunity to share grief, an opportunity to celebrate life, an opportunity for commemoration, communion and fellowship. And as we sat in the church and later stood at Fort Snelling, I was certain that HTP's Aunt was smiling over us saying, "Yes. That's how it's supposed to be done. This is how I wanted it." And in my memories I recall the following quote from the Bible as an Angel chidded the mourners who came to find an empty tomb, "Why do you search for the living one among the dead? He is not here; he has been raised up."

We're back home at The Lake. I've got DD Daughter for one whole day. One day to fit as much as we can fit into time here at The Lake. She's got to fly back home early tomorrow morning. She and GI Joe have been invited for Thanksgiving in Arizona, Christmas in Arizona. Easter? I know that GI Joe's folks would love to have them too. I figured if I get my invitations out early....?

And so, my thoughts are already turning to October and our return to Arizona. The weather this morning is really feeling like Fall. They tell me that there may be frost tonight. So much for gardening. My Mom has a small greenhouse. When I saw her last night, she was already planning on how to transfer some of her container gardens to the greenhouse in order to give the plants a bit more time. If we do get a frost? I'm going to be making lots of relish and green tomato pickles.

Murphyism of the Day

Whitehead's Rule

Seek simplicity, and distrust it.

No comments: