Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Word of the Day

Telephonitis - A condition of not being able to stay off the phone.

Despite my best hopes, the weather report is still calling for freezing temperatures tonight. Darn! I just couldn't put it off any longer. I picked the rest of the green beans and tossed the plants onto my non-existent compost heap...into the woods. I also harvested the rest of my cucumbers and all the eggplant...big and small...and tiny. Then...I harvested every tomato that was growing, ripe and not. I decided that I can cover the plants in my Earthboxes tonight. But I brought the geraniums inside for the night.

The weather has been iffy today. Every time I went out to glean the garden it would start to rain. I'd come back inside and the sky would clear up and the blue sky would provide a beautiful backdrop for the colorful fall leaves. *Sigh* I finally gave up and finished the garden despite the periodic rain showers.

Oh well...the job is done. I still need to "put the garden to bed" for the fall but that can wait. Freezing temperatures and frost won't matter now. And if it doesn't freeze tonight? It wasn't a gamble that I was willing to take. I'll have the guy who mows our lawn put the last clippings on the garden beds to keep the weeds down.

Yadda, yadda, yadda. It's late at night and I just checked the weather forecast. They promise me that it'll get even colder tonight than expected. I drove over to my sister's place and gave her all my green beans. I harvested all that was in my Earthboxes so I can store them away tomorrow if all the plants freeze and die. The window guy should be coming to view our leaky window tomorrow morning. Our lawn guy should be coming tomorrow sometime AND....*sigh* our alarm went off again in Arizona so we'll have to do something about that tomorrow afternoon. I'll try to fill in the gaps tomorrow with finishing up the laundry and starting a batch of Italian Green Tomato/Eggplant Pickles.

Murphyism of the Day

Fox on Bureaucracy

A bureaucracy can outwait anything.

Corollary

Never get caught between two bureaucracies.

No comments: