Sunday, September 17, 2006

Word of the Day

Teleounce - What telegrams were known as before the metric system.

From the look of the t-shirt that I'm wearing, you'd think that I went ten rounds with a bushel of tomatoes and lost. I am here to dispute that finding. I went 10 rounds with a bushel of tomatoes and won! It took some time and effort but I now have 21 quarts of canned tomatoes and 3 quarts of tomato juice. I plan to enjoy the juice and bring half of my canned tomatoes back to Arizona. I'll store the rest in my basement pantry.

My canning efforts last night were interrupted by a call from our alarm company in Arizona. Somehow, some way, something tripped the sensor of one of our windows. The alarm company monitors called the police and then they called us. HTP and I called our neighbor. Unfortunately, I forgot that our neighbor is in the Bahamas right now. So...onto Plan B. We called a friend of ours who has the code and our house key. Only...they don't live real close. After some thought, we also called another neighbor of ours who doesn't have the code or key but lives only a few blocks away. They went over and met with the police and waited until our other friends could meet them to reset the alarm. They called us to let us know that everything looked fine. I'm really glad I have such good friends who could help us out on such short notice.

I'm not sure what triggered the alarm. It makes me a bit nervous. There have been break-ins in the area and according to our friends the weather was just fine and it wasn't at all windy. Though we've had problem with the back door sensor before, we've never had problems with any of the window sensors. Could someone have tried to break into the house but got scared away when the alarm triggered? It's not like there's many neighbors, next door or across the street, who would notice. And sometimes burglars think that people just put those security system signs out in front of their homes to scare off burglars and that's the sum total of their security system. Or...maybe we need to do a thorough exam of our security system when we get home. Sensors can go bad. I'm not even sure what happens if someone triggers a sensor. Is there an audible alarm? How audible? It's on the To Do List for when we get home.

Anyway, I finished up the canning this morning after breakfast. I know I'll have more canning to do before we leave here for the winter but I've done all I can until first frost.

Murphyism of the Day

Utvich's Law

One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions.

No comments: