Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Word of the Day

Thightning - Thunder and lightning.

24 Days and a Wake Up And We Hit the Road *

HTP and I drove out to an Apple Orchard yesterday afternoon. It was a perfect day for it. I've been craving apples. I'd bought some apples at the grocery store last week. The problem with buying store-bought apples is that you don't get to taste the apples before you buy them. It's like buying a pig in a poke. You never know what you're getting until you get it home. On top of that, I bought a bag of apples and when you do that you always end up finding a few bad apples in the bag. Anyway, these apples were awful. They tasted as if they'd been picked last year and they'd dragged them out to sell this year. I made a pie with them and they were OK but....I wanted really fresh apples. Tart. Sweet. So, HTP and I drove out to an apple orchard.

When we got there we discovered that they grow all kinds of different apples. They had samples of each type. I tasted every single one of them. Yummy! I narrowed my choice down to two different types. One was called Honey Crisp and the other, Haralson. We were handed a bag and directed to three rows of trees. This is a U-Pick apple orchard if they don't have any of a certain type of apple in their store. HTP and I picked 10-pounds of Haralson apples. Perfect small red apples. We were very selective. Among all the apples on the trees, the majority were damaged. I'm not sure why this was but finding perfect apples wasn't all that easy. However, we persisted and managed to pick 10-pounds of perfect Haralson apples. Since there were some Honey Crisp apples in the store, we decided that there was no need to pick our own. Honey Crisp apples are HUGE. I ate one yesterday and I ended up eating half of one for lunch and saved the other half for after supper. I won't go into how many Haralson apples I've eaten. I'm sure they won't kill me.

If an apple a day will keep the doctor away, as they claim, will several apples a day REALLY keep the doctor away?

Murphyism of the Day

Parkinson's Law of Delay

Delay is the deadliest form of denial.

* Disclaimer: The countdown has started but it isn't written in blood. I make mistakes and we all know that you just can't pin down life like a bug on a entomology class display board.

No comments: