Friday, January 04, 2008


Snow at The Lake - October 2006


Word of the Day

Eripa - The collected mental assessment of an event, place, person or otherwise through research, word of mouth, or the like prior to reaching the destination or meeting in question.


I made and froze eight quarts of Gypsy food last night. Beef and Barley Stew. While at the grocery store, I circled and circled and looked and looked and finally gave up on ever finding the barley I needed to cook up for this recipe. I decided to substitute long grain brown rice instead but...after looking for the stuff for over a half and hour, I got to the checkout line and told the cashier when I was asked if I'd found everything, that no...indeed I hadn't. I couldn't find the barley. "Oh, well of course we have some." She sent someone running, who sent someone else running and after about five more minutes, they brought me a box of barley. OK. They had barley. Where the heck was it! It was by the broth. I'd picked up two cans of beef broth for the recipe and didn't see the barley anywhere in the vicinity but I guess it was "hidden". I LOOKED for it there. Oh well. I got my barley and didn't buy the long grain brown rice. I hope Gypsy likes her Beef and Barley Stew. I won't actually know until I finish up that last bit of Turkey Stew that I made at the end of November.

Because it took so long yesterday while shopping, I didn't get the laundry done until this morning. Even having #1 Son and his friend help make supper last night didn't allow enough time to finish up on the laundry. I made my oven-baked chicken but I didn't think it was too much to ask #1 Son and his friend to help out. I don't mind feeding #1 Son's friends because I'm going to cook meals anyway and one more doesn't make too much difference. However, yesterday it was really nice to have a bit of extra help.

The weather here has warmed up so much that I left the windows open last night. It was just getting too warm inside the house. Stuffy, too. The outdoor temperatures dipping down to the mid-50's felt good. It's nice to be able to leave the windows open for a while again. Too bad that they're predicting colder temperatures next week again. My sheets are all dry and waiting for the dance to begin again.


Murphyism of the Day

Lucas's Law


No one has ever erected a monument to a committee.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

No fear. No distractions. The ability to let that which does not matter truly slide.

- Chuck Palahniuk

No comments: