Thursday, January 31, 2008




Word of the Day

Fliggan - A piece of something too small to verify it's original makeup.


I went outside after breakfast and removed the sheets from last night's sheet dance. Some of the sheets. Just the ones that would get wet from the over-splash from the fountain. I don't really think that it's going to freeze again tonight but....since it didn't freeze last night, despite the forecast, I think it might freeze tonight. Sometimes things get delayed. Rain, snow, cold. I'll leave the rest of the sheets out there and wait and see, re-covering the fountain plants later tonight. Having said that, it feels cold right now despite a reading of 48°F on my outdoor sensor. It's only 64°F inside. I came really close to turning on the furnace yesterday. Close. I decided to make roast chicken for supper last night. Almost two hours of 350°F temperatures in that oven fixed the chill in the house enough that I had to take my sweater off. I may resort to a similar method of heating the house again tonight. Maybe a nice oven-baked casserole.

I've been re-reading some of my favorite books in the afternoon with Gypsy curled up at my side. I do have one new book that I'm planning to set aside for a while if I don't get too itchy and succumb to temptation. Though I haven't received the new books for the writers' contest, I expect to see them sometime this week. I wouldn't want to prejudice my opinions of the new books by comparing them to one written by one of my favorite authors. Instead, I've been re-reading some of my "keepers" which I set them aside when the writers' contest books arrive. I never know what books I'll be judging before they get here. Some end up as good reads, some great great reads, some are just awful and it ends up taking me forever to plow through them. Oh well...it's always and adventure.

Murphyism of the Day

Ralph's Observation


It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object to realize that you are in a hurry.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one.

- Cato the Elder (234 BC - 149 BC)

No comments: