Friday, December 26, 2008


Gypsy Sitting Under My Computer Desk - January 2008

Word of the Day

Nevitts - The sandpaper-like deposits on a cat's tongue.


I managed to roast the prime rib for supper last night without setting off the smoke detectors. However, having said that, it's a good thing that the outdoor temperatures weren't too cold because HTP and I had to open a few windows. Smoke happens when you cook a fatty piece of meat for an hour at 500°F. I made some homemade horseradish to go with the prime rib from one of the roots that I dug from The Lake. The roots are getting a bit dry in my crisper drawer but I found that it worked well to soak the root that I want to grate for a while before grating. The vinegar and a bit of water finished the rehydration and I ended up with some really potent horseradish sauce. I don't like to make more than we can use but I made enough for the leftover prime rib and the cocktail sauce that I plan to make for New Year's Eve. Since it was just HTP and me, there's no way that we could eat all the prime rib roast at one sitting...nor would we even think about attempting such a feat. Actually, as normal, I made way too much food. Oh well...leftover prime rib is wonderful and in the coming days the green bean casserole that I made will just as wonderful.

I got a laptop for Christmas! Woohoo! It's an Acer Aspire. The keyboard is white...which is great! Actually, I haven't had much of a chance to play with it as yet. HTP has been getting it all set up for me, so he's been doing all the playing so far. I'm planning on transferring all the data from my current desktop computer to the new laptop. The goal is that I eventually won't be tethered to a desk when I want to go online. I can go outside or sit in the living room or in the kitchen or....well...you get the idea. Of course, I'll still be anchored by how long the battery will last until it needs to be recharged but if I can't do what I need to do within the 2 hours, I'll just have to plug 'er in, recharge while tethered to my desk, and then head off again to wherever I want to sit. This morning, I was able to get online to check various blogs, read the latest news, check on Facebook friends and such, but I couldn't check my mail...yet. So, I also played Pogo and also a solitaire game that came loaded on the new laptop. HTP needs to get Outlook set up on the new laptop. He also has to transfer all my files and such over from my desktop. So...until that happens, I'm blogging and "working" from ye olde desktop (soon to be retired). This will be my first brand-new computer. All my other computers and computer equipment have been hand-me-downs from HTP or #1 Son. I'm going to have to learn how to function with Vista instead of XP but what doesn't kill me, will make me stronger.

Murphyism of the Day

Ron's Observations for Teenagers


1. The pimples don't appear until the hour before the date.

2. The scratch on the CD is always through the song you like most.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.

- Voltaire (1694 - 1778)

No comments: