Tuesday, January 13, 2009


Yesterday, #1 Son said, "What's with all that snow?" DD Daughter told me that the blizzard conditions were shaking her house. I wonder how cold it is at The Lake today?

Word of the Day

Obliviot - Someone who is completely unaware of their idiocy.


I woke up to the sound of landscape crews working on someone's yard. Actually, after rising and sipping on my first cup of coffee, I noticed that the culprit for all this noise was a single landscape crew that was working on the house right behind our house...across the back wall. Leaf-blowers make lots of noise. Landscape crews are famous for their use of these leaf-blowers. Even HTP and I own one...only...we use ours on vacuum mode. I wouldn't mind so much if all they blew was leaves but as HTP and I sat down to eat our breakfast, I saw ,wafting through the air, millions of little seeds, hanging from their downy parachutes, parachuting into my backyard, settling gracefully onto the fertile ground. I'm going to have to get out there with some pre-emergent weed-killer.

I sprayed all the weeds that I could see in the front yard yesterday afternoon. In a day or so, I'll check to see what I missed. It's never easy to see what has been sprayed or what hasn't been sprayed. I noticed that professional landscapers mix some sort of green dye into their weed spray. Eventually the green color disappears but...HTP won't let me mix green food dye in with our weed spray so...sure as shootin' there's going to be some weeds that will escape.

I still have to shoot the weeds in the backyard. That, along with doing the laundry, is on my To Do List today. I'll have to see if there's any pre-emergent weed-preventer in the garage, not that I've got millions of potential weeds just waiting to sprout....thanks to my neighbor.

I can't blame the neighbors for getting excited about yard clean-up. When I was outside with Gypsy this morning, it felt a lot like Spring. It even smells like Spring...as much as a desert can smell like Spring. The high temperatures this week are supposed to be in the 70's. However, even though I've been seeing neighbors clad in shorts and sleeveless shirts, walking around the neighborhood or peddling by on bikes, I doubt this fair weather will last. It's never a good idea to prune plants until there is absolutely no danger of plant-killing frosts. I don't plan to do any pruning for another month....or even until March. I'm not going to wash and fold up my sheet dance sheets for a while yet. We could still have more freezing temperatures this winter.

I do NEED to get out and kill those weeds before we get a nastygram from the HOA. Heck! We'll probably get one anyway. I think they send nastygrams about weeds to everyone in the neighborhood, knowing that more than 50% of the people who live here will have weeds in the yards at any given time during the year...99% will have them when there's been rain and the temperatures are in the 70's.

However, with temperatures rising to the mid-70's, I may take my laptop outside with me later this afternoon. I might even open the windows now that the neighbor's landscape crew has stopped blowing dust and seeds all over the place. I might as well enjoy these non-blizzard conditions while they're here (not that we ever get blizzards here in The Valley of the Sun).

Murphyism of the Day

McDlaughry's Codical to Jones's Motto


To make an enemy, do someone a favor.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

There are two kinds of people in the world, those who believe there are two kinds of people in the world and those who don't.

- Robert Benchley (1889 - 1945)

No comments: