Tuesday, June 09, 2009


Preserved Lemons...and that scorpion that I caught before it could catch me.

Word of the Day

Randomosity - Something displaying the state or quality of being very random.


2009 Woodtick Count - 35

I didn't blog yesterday because there really wasn't anything to blog about....and I decided to waste most of my computer time on Pogo and sudoku puzzles. It rained. We actually received almost a 1/2 inch of rain yesterday. It was one of those dreary, drippy days. No storms. No lightning, no thunder. Just the perfect soaking rain that my garden and lawn needed. It was another of those days which would have been perfect to have a fireplace fire...or to bake cookies. Since I already baked two huge batches of cookies on Saturday, I figured that I had enough cookies...even if I give half to my folks. I didn't build a fire in the fireplace because we need to split logs or...buy a cord of wood. However, I did make a double batch of homemade chili for lunch with leftovers for future lunches and a Moroccan recipe for chicken (I substituted country-style pork ribs) using preserved lemons, green olives, and raisins. Raisins? Actually, it turned out great!...even without the turmeric. Even though I'm not fond of turmeric, this recipe called for it. If I'd had any in the house, I would have used it. The raisins were good so maybe the turmeric would have been good too. As for the preserved lemons...I made those last winter from the lemons my neighbor gave me and they added a faint lemony flavor to the recipe that was wonderful. I'm going to add this recipe to my permanent file.

Today? The sun peaked out and I was able to wander out to the garden to see what was what. Only about a third of my green beans came up. They all should have been up by now. I think the blue jays got some of them. Plucked them right out of the ground as soon as they started to sprout. I noted that some of the others had simply rotted in the ground. It's really been a bit too cold for the green beans to grow. Hopefully, the seeds that I planted this morning have a better chance of growing and thriving. I did note that 3/4 of the Italian green beans had sprouted and were doing fine.

As far as the rest of my garden goes (grows), the lettuce is up and so are the radishes. My tomatoes are blossoming and so are the pepper plants. I had to re-seed a couple of my zucchini. I only planted four zucchini this year....in an Earthbox. I've got onions growing in with my tomatoes. As for the herb pots, I've been using my basil, cilantro and parsley. The Moroccan recipe that I made last night called for fresh cilantro and fresh parsley.

I found myself looking out at the lake this morning and thinking that it looked like perfect fishing weather. But then I'd have to bail out the boat and I've got laundry to do. *sigh* Maybe later.

Murphyism of the Day

Shedenhelm's Law of Backpacking


All trails have more uphill sections than they have level or downhill sections.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

It is hard to believe that a man is telling the truth when you know that you would lie if you were in his place.

- H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)

No comments: