Monday, February 16, 2004

House For Sale - Day 13

Our home inspection is scheduled for this Wednesday. Someone is going to inspect the entire house and compile a list of all the things that need to be fixed before closing. I'm familiar with this part of selling a house. I had to go through this with the last house we sold. I was rather startled that the inspection was going to take place before the contingency in the contract (the buyer's wife has to come and see the house and like it on February 21st) was satisfied. However, since I'm not paying for the home inspection and I'll be able to benefit from the inspection, I don't suppose it makes much difference.

Someone in their infinite wisdom decided to plant silk flowers out by the gate and entrance of our small development. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. Someone picked out really tacky gates to replace our old gate...without any consultation...at least I wasn't consulted. Actually, the gate isn't that bad...if you happen to live in England. They just strike a rather tacky strident note here in the desert southwest. Now, don't think that I would have preferred barbed wire or roadrunners and cacti picked out in stressed copper. But Victorian metal gates just don't seem to fit in with a community of stucco'd houses with red tile roofs. And now...tacky silk flowers to adorn the property by the gate? They can't even pretend to look real. Bright fantastically purple cascades of wisteria style flowers stuck into bark chips....I'm surprised they bothered removing the price tags. Maybe they didn't. I'll have to go back and look. I didn't have to look that closely to see that they were fake. I suppose I should be happy that they didn't plant plastic flowers? Unfortunately, I think someone paid more for these tacky silk flowers then they would have paid for the real thing. We live in Phoenix! There are real flowers everywhere. Cheap! If I planted silk flowers in front of my house, the HOA would fine me! Big time! This is really getting too weird for me. I'm glad I'm moving. I hope those silk flowers don't scare away my buyers.

Today's Little Bit of Trivia

A single ragweed plant can release a billion grains of pollen. Maybe the people who planted silk flowers instead of real flowers were worried about allergens. Maybe they were worried about the drought. Maybe they figured that planting silk flowers was more economical then planting real flowers which need to be replaced twice a year with the change in seasons. I wonder what they've been doing with all the money we send them every month?

No comments: