Sunday, February 08, 2004

House For Sale - Day 5

I was going to give you a blow by blow discription of my day like yesterday but...

7:54 PM - Exhaustion. I got up at 5:30 AM because my dogs wanted to get up at that time. I'm going to have to work on that. Since I had to get up at 6 AM anyway so I could get ready for church, I got up and pandered to their wishes. I washed my hair too. My son and I played with the church orchestra for two services. I rewarded him with lunch out at the Olive Garden. Olive Garden has improved. I was impressed. The salad is still nothing to write home about but the pastas no longer taste like paste. The sause was wonderful. I think I might even decide to add the particular sauce that I had to my recipe file. Black kalamari olives added to a basic marinara along with mushrooms. It was good. I passed on the spaghetti pasta and requested angel hair. I'm glad I did. My son ordered the veal parmigana and it came with the "spaghetti". Ugh. Fat wormlike pasta. Yuck!
After lunch we had to go visit the neighboring mall and Waldenbooks. My son mentioned that he was running low on his favorite cologne...Pi...so we stopped on our way out at the male version of The Perfume Counter at Dillards and bought him a bottle. We also stopped at Target for more necessary stuff like Valentine's Day cards. I bought a box of chocolates and card for my husband.
After we arrived back home, I dove right in on my marmalade making project. Lemon/Lime Marmalade was a bust. Awful! It was incredibly bitter. I only made three half-pints and decided not to waste my sweetener on the rest of the fruit mixture. I had finished making six half-pints of some wonderful tangelo/lemon marmalade when the phone rang. Realtor. I quickly cleaned up my marmalade mess with a batch of the stuff half-cooked on the stove and another two batches waiting. I threw a cover on the half-cooked marmalade and took it off the stove. I returned the 4 cups of measured fruit for the next batch to its brethren in a large enamel pot and threw a lid on this too. Then I hid the jars and lids where they wouldn't offend future buyers of my house. I grabbed the jar lids that were heating on the stove, drained off the boiling water and put them on the shelf in the pantry. Meanwhile my son and husband were turning on every light in the house and were loading the dogs into the car. I then threw all the dirty dishes into the dishwasher and washed down the counters. Clean. My husband ran a vacuum cleaner and we all hopped into the car.
Where does one go when they have to kill an hour? We all went to see the new house. Again. We killed time for a full hour before we returned home. The realtor's card was on the counter. Someone had seen my house.
I turned off all the lights and returned to my marmalade making. This is when I discovered that I'd never turned off the burner that had been heating my jar lids when I'd raced around getting stuff ready to show the house. Ahhhh!!!!! I wonder if the realtor and her clients noticed?
I've finally finished making all my marmalade. It tastes great and it's diet too. I'm going to label it all and hide it tomorrow morning before another realtor can call. After I've had my first cup of coffee. I also need to wash off the stove....again. I have no further plans to make jam, marmalade or anything else messy until after this house sells. Too much stress!

Today's Little Bit of Trivia

Acronyms are strange things. I thought I'd share a few with you in the next few days that I found in Uncle John's Unstoppable Bathroom Reader.

EGADS - Electronic Ground Automatic Destruct System - Military command given to destroy a missile already in flight.

No comments: