Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Word of the Day? Maybe after I get back to The Lake and have a chance to recover. Yesterday was spent convincing HTP's Mom that the cost of moving to Assisted Living was something that they could indeed afford and something very necessary. Though HTP's Mom is doing better after her hip surgery, she still needs a great deal of care. Care that she can't get at the independent Living apartment that has been their home for the last few years.

Eureka. After a very long day, we finally got all the paperwork in place to move everything into a new apartment TODAY! The new apartment is in an Assisted Living area here in Minnesota. HTP and I are going to run over to the old apartment this morning to pack up as much as we can before the movers come at 9 AM. There is no way that we can get everything boxed up before they get there. We're going to concentrate on getting the furniture emptied out and packed first. I'll work on the kitchen after that. Clothes from the closet can be carried over on their hangers. Food from the fridge can be loaded into coolers and transferred. Mainly, we need to make sure the furniture can be all loaded up and carried over to the new apartment by the movers. There is no way I can throw a 7-foot couch into the backseat of my car. I may be a wiz at packing but that's a bit over the top of my capabilities.

So. Today? I won't go there right now. Yesterday was really tiring. Have you ever been so tired that you can't sleep? I ached, I ache. We crawled into the bed here at our Days Inn in Minnesota last night at 9 PM after taking HTP's Mom back to the transitional care place where she's been staying since the surgery. So we finally got checked into our transitional care place (Days Inn) and I had to spend a good 5 minutes hunting for the toilet paper that they hide behind the door of the cramped bathroom. Sigh. We've stayed here before. I'd just forgotten that devious trick. Anyway, then just as I was using a bit of bio-feedback to get some sleep, #1 son called to find out where we were. Huh? I could have sworn that we told him our plans. Shoot! Maybe we didn't. Things have been a bit crazy. If I really think about all the stuff we need to do today before we hop into the car and drive the 2 1/2 hours back to The Lake, I'll lose it. So....LA-LA-LA-LA-LA....not thinking about that. I'm not thinking about that. I'm thinking about climbing into my nice comfortable bed back at The Lake, closing my eyes and listening to the loons. I DO NOT plan to spend another night here in Minnesota. HTP and I will make sure that HTP's Mom and Dad are all settled into their new home, as much as we can. HTP's sister and brother have been doing their part too. I feel bad that they'll have to finish up with it all but they're local here and HTP and I aren't local. Besides, I think that after today's labors, most of everything will be taken care of. Just the polishing and clean-up will remain.

The new place? It's beautiful. Larger than their current home. Two bedrooms. Two bath. Walk-in closet. Kitchen. Three meals a day. Two meals in a wonderful restaurant (linens) setting. We had a meal there last night. They've even got a massage room on the ground floor and....this place is POSH!

No comments: