Monday, May 22, 2006

Word of the Day

Punctuless - Without periods, commas, question marks, etc.

Hunting the wild watercress. This was the major project for the day. We continued on with our wine-making projects but today's project was to hunt down the elusive wild watercress. Watercress grows in a swampy area along a spring-fed area which is close to the cabin where I spent many fun-filled days in my youth. Marsh Marigolds abound. My sister has found that the best time for hunting wild watercress is when the trilliums are blooming. I noted that the wild geranium is blooming too.

Before hitting the trail, we armed ourself against the bloodsucking woodticks that abound this time of year. I sprayed my sister with tick and mosquito spray...she sprayed me. Carrying plastic grocery sacks and a kitchen shears, we hiked and trudged over fallen debris and hidden logs until we arrived at the hidden spring where the wild watercress abides. OK...I'm getting poetic here. Anyway, you have to watch where you walk or you'll end up neck-high in quicksand...but it's not quicksand, it's muck. Stinky muck. I'm sure that there is a ready supply of oil brewing beneath this swamp but don't tell anyone. As you walk through the swamp, images of prehistoric animals dance through your head....as you watch your step because stinky swamp mud isn't fun to clean off your shoes. However, gathering wild watercress is well worth the risk.

I have to tell you that my husband, HTP, is not fond of watercress. He'll eat it but I'm sure that I don't really have to repeat the snide little comments that he makes. Me? I love it. My sister loves it too. But...her husband hates the stuff. She tells me that one of her sons will eat it but I'm thinking that he loves his Mom. Regardless, watercress costs a mint in the stores. Have you ever seen what they charge for it? Do I like the stuff because I can get it for "free"? I'm not really sure. I know that I wouldn't really like it if I had it day in and day out. However, I do love making it into a salad with a light vinaigrette dressing. The thing is that I'm not sure if HTP really likes anything edible if it's green. Green death! Maybe it's a woman thing. I love salads or all sorts. I love green edible stuff as long as it isn't mold. Unless that mold is blue and comes on a type of cheese called Bleu Cheese or the like.

My sister and I harvested three bags of watercress. One bag for her, one bag for me, and one bag for my Mom. My Mom loves it...I suspect that my Dad isn't fond of it but.... We noted that it's still early in the season so we may return to hunt another day.

On the continuing story of our wine-making subject....my sister and I proceeded on with our recipe for Lilac wine. The yeast has now met the must and must remain untouched for five days. The yeast met the must for our batch of Dandelion wine the other day and will have to continue on it's wine journey on Wednesday. As for the Dandelion Schnapps? We sampled a nip of it. It's early days yet but it's showing great promise.

Now...if you'll please excuse me...I'm off to check to see if any woodticks breeched the protective spray barrier which coats my clothing.

Murphyism of the Day

Levy's First Law

No amount of genius can overcome a preoccupation with detail.

No comments: