Saturday, May 06, 2006

Word of the Day

Policretin - What you call a dumb politician.

Sometimes I think that God must be totally bewildered when it comes to understanding the human mind. Oh, I know that God is all-knowing but I tend to think of God up in heaven shaking a mighty head at the foibles of man-kind.

God provided the most lovely flowers for us. I mean, this morning as I gazed outside I saw an abundance of God's flowers. They're all truly gorgeous but one type was truly spectacular. I didn't plant them. These flowers were free. When I took the time to really look at each of these flowers, I was amazed. Man has worked for years and years to develop wondrous different and exotic flowers using genetics and cross-pollination and they have developed some wonderful colors, shapes and sizes. I try to plant some of these in my flower beds each year. But the flowers that I was examining this morning have nothing to do with man. They are truly beautiful. Petals? I couldn't even begin to tell you how many petals each of these flowers had. The color. Such a wondrous shade of yellow. My daffodils pale in comparison. The smell. Heavenly. Each plant produced at least six of these wondrous flowers. So why do humans find them so ugly? Why do they spend fortunes to get rid of these flowers? It's amazing to see how many products there are on the market these days that just deal with getting rid of this very same flower that I'm talking about. The dandelion. There are few man-developed flowers that can rival its beauty.

I remember as a child collecting fistfuls of these flowers to give to my Mother. As a child, we would rub this flower under our chin to see if we liked butter. In turn, my children would always bring me fistfuls of these flowers each spring to put into every glass vase that I could find to decorate our house. I, of course, taught my children the butter thing. I wonder if they remember. My husband once told me that the nuns that taught where he went to school as a child, sent the children out into the school-yard every spring and out into the school grounds, encouraging the children to pick every single one of these beautiful flowers. Their reason? If the flower isn't allowed to mature, it can't go to seed and thus multiply. My own Mother has spent hour upon hours pulling in fruitless attempts to eliminate this beautiful flower. And yet, she plants flowers that aren't nearly as beautiful in her flower beds. Me? I have to admit that I too will make a concerted effort to eliminate this beautiful flower from my landscape. But why? It's a weed?

So, before I get out the turf-builder and the Round-up, I went out to pick dandelions this morning. Unsullied dandelions. No fertilizers. No weed-killer. Organic Dandelions. When I came inside with my dandelions, HTP asked me if I was trying to get rid of the dandelions. I'm sure he was recalling the nuns from his youth. My answer? Nope. I collected a full gallon of dandelions. Just their beautiful yellow flowers, not the stems. I admired their beauty and smell as I filled three quart jars with my bounty. And then I covered them and filled the jars with vodka. I'm experimenting with a new recipe. Dandelion liquor. I'll let you know how it turns out. Who knows? Maybe I've discovered a new use for this wonderful flower. I'll go out and get rid of the "weeds" some other time.

Murphyism of the Day

Twain's Truth

People believe what you say, except when you are telling the truth.

No comments: