Tuesday, May 05, 2009


A Glimpse of Things to Come - Summer 2007
My terrace flower bed looks a bit barren right now...give it time...it needs warmer weather to wake up.

2009 Woodtick Count - 3

Word of the Day

Professore - 1. A teacher or educator who doles out copious amounts of tedious homework at their leisure, causing painful calluses on their student's digits. 2. A teacher or educator who takes sadistic pleasure in the mental anguish of students.


It looked a bit like I wouldn't be able to continue my gardening work today. Rain. However, it cleared up shortly after breakfast. At least it cleared up enough for me to rake and clean up the lower terrace garden and raspberry/flower bed on the east side of the house. Lots of leaves and debris. I also had to trim out the old raspberry canes and reset my raspberry fencing. I was working under a handicap. The wind was blowing hard enough to undo a lot of the work I'd done yesterday and my attempts today. Oh well...whatever leaves blow back into the beds are nothing in comparison to what I hauled off to the woods. I got most of them. You can now see the beginning shoots of my hostas and the bellflowers, and the astilbe. I'm having a real problem with wild blackberry bushes and red sumac sending out volunteers to invade my terrace flower bed.

DD Daughter and Ms. En are coming for a visit. DD Daughter found herself at loose ends when GI Joe had to spend a few days away from home so...why not come visit The Lake? They should be around supper time....I think. She got a late start and when she called, I was outside and HTP didn't ask whether or not we should hold supper for them. It takes seven hours plus to drive from her home in Nebraska to here so I don't expect that we'll see them until 7 PM. We usually eat supper a bit sooner than that but... Maybe she'll call again.

The battery on our generator isn't working. HTP swears that he replaced the battery last year but I thought he had decided to hold off replacing it until this year. Oh well...it isn't working so HTP just went outside to take the battery out to look at it. The mystery as to when the battery was purchased should be settled as soon as he can take a look at it. Having a backup generator for the times our power goes out here is something we count on.

Murphyism of the Day

Wise Fan's Lament


Fools rush in - and get the best seats.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

Arithmetic is being able to count up to twenty without taking off your shoes.

- Mickey Mouse

No comments: