Thursday, May 21, 2009


My Gardens are all Planted - May 2009

Word of the Day

Pupkus - The moist residue left on a window after a dog presses its nose to it.


2009 Woodtick Count - 25

When your garden is all planted, what do you do? Do you clean the house? Do you make beds? Do you cook? All worthy occupations but...I went fishing....after I got the latest batch of wine all buttoned up (put lid on primary fermentation bucket and attached air-lock) and transfered to the basement. The lake was calling me and I haven't been out in a boat since last summer. To be honest, I haven't been out in a rowboat for more years than I'd care to count. Nevertheless, that's what I did. Fishing. Rowing. Anchoring. Lifting the anchor. Rowing. Fighting the wind. Fishing. I forgot how many muscle groups one uses when rowing a boat. Felt good...at the time. I didn't catch much. Two nice crappie, a smallmouth bass that was only 13 1/2...maybe 3/4 inches long...regardless...shy of the legal 14 inch size limit...so he was fun to catch and swam off to Mommy. I also caught a REALLY nice bluegill. However, at the end of all that rowing, I only ended up with three fish in my fish basket...and a minnow in my minnow bucket. I also picked up various debris along our shoreline. Fishing line, a bucket, hooks, a bobber, and a couple of fishing lures. I didn't dive for pop cans...though I saw a couple of them. *sigh* Oh well...I'm feeling a bit stiff from all that rowing. My back, my side muscle, my stomach muscles. I was expecting to feel the burn in my arms, but maybe all my push-ups prepped me for it. I'm not complaining. I needed the exercise. I'd rather row a boat around the lake then using a rowing machine that doesn't go anywhere. Plus, I have three more fish to clean...tomorrow.

HTP and I didn't eat the fish I caught and cleaned on Tuesday ( a nice crappie and a smallmouth bass...legal size). I was thinking about cooking fish for supper tonight but...#1 Son is coming to visit us this weekend. I think we'll have a fish fry on one of the nights that he's here. I'll have to go fishing again tomorrow...or maybe Saturday....or just off the dock. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be feeling a lot stiffer tomorrow from today's activities.

So...I'm making a baked ziti-style casserole for supper tonight. I have no Ziti. I have no Rotini. However, I do have a nice gourmet sundried tomato "shells". They don't look like shells. They look like kind of like rotini...but without the tight corkscrews. It's pasta. It'll work.

Murphyism of the Day

Knox's Principle of Star Quality


Whenever a superstar is traded to your favorite team, he fades. Whenever your team trades away a useless no-name, he immediately rises to stardom.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

Everybody tells jokes, but we still need comedians.

- Jimmy Wales

No comments: