Sunday, May 31, 2009


The Columbine Have Started Blooming.

Word of the Day

Quintesensual - The most perfect embodiment of a thing or person that satisfies the essential desire for attractiveness.


2009 Woodtick Count - 33

On this last day of May, I finally got around to attending our local Lutheran church here at The Lake. I've been meaning to visit this church for years, but for some reason or other... HTP has been giving me grief over the fact that I keep putting it off. Hah! He can't do that anymore. The service was held outdoors. The sermon seemed a bit long but my judgement on the length of the sermon may have been influenced by the outdoor temperature at the time. I mourned the fact that I'd left my gloves at home, and the scarf a friend knit and gave me last Christmas would have been welcome. Cold! You'd think I would have reasoned this out on my own before leaving the house and so prepare for sitting outside for over an hour in the cold but...such was not the case. However, I do learn from my mistakes and I'm sure the shady location of the services and cool breezes will be greatly appreciated later during the heat and humidity of the summer. Thankfully, coffee was served inside the church after the service and my hands did finally thaw out before I got home. I wonder if they normally serve so much food between services. A nice variety of muffins (big and small), a couple of varieties of cake, a huge selection of fruit, rhubarb bread(I really want this recipe), juice and coffee...it was a real continental breakfast.

I actually had to protect my vegetable gardens (Earthboxes and container gardens) and my window boxes last night. Frost?! Yes, we had frost. Thankfully, I have a large supply of spare sheets and pillow cases. Unfortunately, I'll be washing a large supply of spare sheets and pillow cases on Tuesday. Hopefully, all danger of frost or freezing temperatures will have passed...until late September or early October. However, I do remember one summer, all dressed in winter jackets in order to view the 4th of July fireworks display....and we were still freezing. The summer that never was. I hope we don't see a repeat of that summer, this summer.

I wasn't planning on doing any more yard work today. I promised myself that I'd take the day off. However, my raspberries really did need a bit of guidance and I noted that the wild raspberry bushes had advanced and were staging another attack on my raised bed gardens. They'd formed an alliance with the blackberry bushes and the sumac and had started to infiltrate my terrace garden by the garage. So...I ended up spending a productive afternoon beating back invaders and insurgents and illegal border crossers. I also planted two more window box gardens for my deck. I have no idea whether the lettuce and radishes will grow or thrive but...we'll see. I'll have to move the window box gardens to another, cooler location when and if the summer heat arrives. I expect I'll be moving my herb pots at the same time. It gets REALLY hot on my south-facing deck.

Murphyism of the Day

The Poker Principle


Never do card tricks for the group you play poker with.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

Good taste is the worst vice ever invented.

- Edith Sitwell (1887 - 1964)

No comments: