Friday, May 29, 2009


Picking the Raspberries - 2007

Word of the Day

Quat - Past tense of the verb quit.


2009 Woodtick Count - 28

I just spent a couple hours outside weeding. My definition of weeding is to remove any and all vegetation growing where said vegetation isn't supposed to be growing...or where it can become a threat to existing, valued vegetation. I must say that it was perfect weather for it. Cool. Sunny. Enough of a breeze that I had to secure my hair. The only thing that would have made it easier would be if we'd had some rain. Oh well... I feel like I'm crawling with critters. Will the woodtick count go up tomorrow? Only time will tell.

Regardless, I pulled out two bushel baskets full of weeds and raspberry bushes...tame raspberry bushes. I'm talking about a real bushel basket..not one of those decorative things that you see at the store. My bushel basket actually holds a bushel...a unit of measure. Not to worry Mom, there are plenty more raspberry bushes in my other beds for you when you and Dad feel up to coming to get them....and I'm sure they'll be more next year.

My tame raspberries were plotting to take over my flower bed. They're still plotting, I know this but...I've got them under control...for now. I think they got the idea from the wild raspberry bushes that attempted a similar coup on my vegetable gardens. I can use RoundUp on the wild raspberry bushes but I won't resort to weapons of mass destruction for the tame raspberry bushes. However, I did feel a bit bad just pulling them out by the roots and all and tossing the dead bodies onto my compost heap but I have no more places to plant tame raspberry bushes. Besides, I remember my Grandmother ripping out perfectly beautiful flowers because they weren't growing where they were supposed to be growing. Sometimes you just have to grit your teeth and do what you have to do.

Murphyism of the Day

Law of Practice


Plays that work in theory do not work in practice.
Plays that work in practice do not work during the game.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

D'you call life a bad job? Never! We've had our ups and downs, we've had our struggles, we've always been poor, but it's been worth it, ay, worth it a hundred times I say when I look round at my children.

- W. Somerset Maugham (1874 - 1965)

No comments: