Sunday, April 21, 2013

Our New Tree - A Fantex Ash


Word of the Day

Seethroughity - The measure of an object's transparent property. Often gauged between opaque and completely transparent, or see-through.


HTP and I planted a new tree in our front yard this morning. Hopefully, this tree will thrive and survive the summer heat AND the winter cold. Actually, this tree is replacing one that I was sure would survive both, a Sissoo tree, but, it didn't. Global warming killed it. It was just too cold last winter. *sigh* Oh well, if at first you don't succeed, try, try, again. I've lost a Ficus (it froze), a Brazilian pepper (it got sick and died), and a Sissoo (it froze). So, let's try this one, a Fantex Ash, a very hardy Arizona Ash cultivar with a more globe-like form. It's a grafted male which means no seeds. It tends to grow fast to 30' tall/wide. I'm told that it's low maintenance--fall leaves drop in one week during for easy clean up. It is heat/salt tolerant. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

C25K Powerwalk Challenge Update

Kylee and I got an early start this morning. There weren't too many people out and about but Kylee needed to make one stop to meet and greet Rosie, a chocolate lab, and her owner. I normally try to avoid stopping but I'm pretty sure that both Rosie and Kylee would have felt bad if I hadn't. Kylee was beside herself with excitement to meet and greet her new friend. Her whole body wagged.
We made up for the stop by adding in an additional power-walk segment. I've already added distance to your walks. We've completed Week 2, Day 3. Next week, we'll work on Week 3, but after that, I'm not at all sure how I'll be able to do more than start Week 4 while I'm on the road.

Random Quote of the Day

The human tendency to regard little things as important has produced very many great things.

- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg (1742 - 1799)

No comments: