Friday, May 16, 2014

Daffodils are Blooming

Word of the Day

Beveragitation - The disturbing feeling of loss and bewilderment one experiences when looking into an empty cup or mug that they were sure contained at least another mouthful.

Cold! I finally set the thermostat at 68 degrees. This morning, I woke up to 58 degrees. It's kind of hard to get up and moving when it's that cold in the house. My workout clothes aren't designed for cold weather. I ended up wearing my sweatshirt over my workout top for the first mile of my four mile workout this morning.

It's another fire in the fireplace type day. However, before starting a new fire, I had to clear out the ashes from I don't know how many previous fires. I "think" I cleaned out all the ashes last fall but, I could be wrong. Regardless, it needed doing...badly. Plus, since I had a fire yesterday, I still had some live coals. I ended up having to scoop all the ashes into a metal bucket. The bucket is sitting on my front steps. I can't get rid of them until the ashes are well and truly dead.

Birds! Wow! My hummingbirds are back. My orioles are back. I even saw a pileated woodpecker today. Big bird. I'm going to have to re-fill the seed feeders tomorrow morning. I've had a lot of avian visitors.

A neighbor stopped by to ask if he could glean the stumps and toppings from our logging operation. I told him to go ahead. My yard guy has been helping himself to the toppings etc., but I'm pretty sure that there's plenty for everyone.

I know that #1 Son and #1 DIL vacuumed and cleaned before I got here to The Lake. I really appreciate all their efforts. Unfortunately, ladybug (Asian beetles)are a constant problem in the Spring. I vacuumed and vacuumed...thoroughly, and still they come. Oh well, at least I was able to get rid of the log debris that I brought in while carrying in the fireplace logs and the stray ashes, and the dog hair. The later three aren't nearly and bad as the lady bugs. I'll probably have to vacuum out my bathtub again before bathing tonight.

I hiked out to check on the nut trees that I planted last summer. It's hard to tell if they're alive or not. Things really haven't budded out yet. I'll have to check again in a few weeks when things warm up. However, I did note that they were all still there as opposed to eaten by critters.

Random Quote of the Day

Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one.

- Dr. Seuss

No comments: