Thursday, May 15, 2014

Spring Wildflowers

Word of the Day

Alcohological - Things that seem logical only after consuming large amounts of alcohol.

I'm waiting. I called the roofing contractor three times. Nothing can be done until he returns my calls. HTP and I are going to ask him to give us a detailed estimate of three types of shingles. We may still end up paying an arm and a leg for the most expensive shingles but, we want to think about it for a while. In the meantime, to be on the safe side, we went ahead and stopped payment on the check that I wrote precipitously yesterday afternoon. I didn't sleep well at all last night due to worry about our roofing difficulties. I'll sleep a lot better when HTP and I can finally make a decision.

I boiled up some hummingbird/oriole nectar this morning and put out my three remaining hummingbird/oriole feeders. I discovered that I have LOTS of sugar. Plenty for making nectar AND jam this summer. Sadly, I haven't seen any hummingbirds or orioles since my first sighting the other day. Meanwhile, my seed feeders continue to attract lots of birds and a couple of stubborn squirrels.

Our yard guy stopped by last night to pick up a check for future work. He started on that work this morning by removing leaves from my borders. There are still a lot more leaves that need to be raked and blown but he didn't get it all done today. He also has other jobs for other people.

I've got a fire going in the fireplace today. It's cool enough to need it. I also spent some time cooking up future meals. The other day, I purchased some boneless country-style ribs. I'd decided to make a Moroccan recipe that I like. While I was cooking the meat with onions, lemons, olives and raisins, I tried out my thrift store purchased Rival steamer, making some brown rice. Unfortunately, it only kind of worked. It kept on shutting down. The brown rice finally ended up cooking but it took a LONG time and it looks over-cooked. I'm going to try cleaning the lime deposit off the heating unit but...just in case, I decided to purchase a brand new vegetable/rice cooker. We'll see if I can fix the other cooker by de-liming it. As for the Moroccan Pork, it turned out just fine and I'm eager to try some for dinner tonight. I portioned out single servings of brown rice, Moroccan pork and sauce, retaining one portion for dinner tonight and freezing the rest. I also portioned out two serving portions of Moroccan pork (ran out of cooked rice) and froze those. I'm going to eat well this summer. I've got some pork fajita burritos frozen from the other day and I plan to make some venison fajita burritos to enjoy and freeze tomorrow.

Kefir madness continues. I'm making some goat kefir milk which I plan to make into kefir goat cheese with ramps and herbs.

Random Quote of the Day

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

- John Lennon



No comments: