Sunday, May 18, 2014

Kylee Wants to Play With My Toys

Word of the Day

Abusement - Abusive entertainment. A contraction of abuse and entertainment.

Woodtick Count - 3

I've been busy getting my Earthboxes set up and ready for planting. Of course, I still need to add the Garden Lime and the fertilizer to each box AND I need to buy plants. I ordered the fertilizer and Garden Lime online and it should arrive on Monday. Of course, at this point, I'm eager to get a move on and buy plants. However, sometimes it's best to just step back at this point, wait, and think. I still need to prep the containers on my lower deck. Do I really want or need to plant as many tomatoes as I did last summer?

My yard guy tilled the beds in my kennel garden. I planted the beds with four different types of potato. Purple Viking, Purple Majesty, Yukon Gold and Red La Soda. I still have room for ten more potatoes. I can pick some more potato "seeds" next week when I hit the nursery. I'll need to pick up onion sets too. In the meantime, I've got a start. Tomorrow will be spent prepping the last of the containers that I plan to use. I may only plant eight tomato plants on the lower deck this year. Eighteen tomato plants....half the amount of tomato plants that I planted last year. I already have twelve pepper plants that I can plant as soon as the fertilizer and Garden Lime get here. Aside from that, I need zucchini plants and some sugar snap pea seeds and some bush bean seeds. Plus, I need to get my Junior Earthboxes back from Sis' and get those prepped and planted with lettuce and kale.

I still need to prepare a new garden bed for asparagus. I purchased 20 crowns that need to be in the ground...yesterday. Ack! Thankfully, the yard guy is a hard worker because I'm not sure if I could dig a four by ten foot bed on my own. I do need to pick up some potting mix to use to back fill the trenches AND more to mound over the top of the potatoes when they come up. And, of course, as I was measuring out the bed, I sliced my thumb on the tape measure. Figures. OUCH!

The dock still needs to go in and the boat needs to be launched. I'm waiting for Seasonal Toys to come out...and yes, I called them. I'd really like to go out fishing but, with everything else that needs doing, I probably wouldn't have the time. It would be nice to be tempted. *sigh*

On top of that? Speaking of top? Yes, HTP and I have decided to sign the contract...again....with the roofing contractor, for the original shingles that we'd chosen previously. They cost more but HTP wants them because they have one of the highest impact ratings. I'll call the guy tonight.

The yard guy is busily blowing leaves out of my flower beds right now. Leaves, leaves, lots of leaves. He fertilized the lawn and put out the special granules that are supposed to kill the woodticks last night. Since I had a tiny woodtick crawling on my arm this afternoon, I must surmise that it doesn't work instantly...or even overnight. Maybe we need the predicted rain to activate it all.

I really need to cut myself some slack. I've only been here one week. Everything will get done...eventually. Still, I wish I could just twitch my nose like in that old sitcom Bewitched and have it all done so I could go out fishing.


Random Quote of the Day

Success is relative. It is what we can make of the mess we have made of things.

- T. S. Eliot (1888 - 1965)

No comments: