Saturday, May 31, 2014

Watercress!

Word of the Day

Fabtastic - Describing anything that is both fabulous and fantastic.

Woodtick Count - 4

Some mornings it's really hard to get moving. However, I did put in an hour of yoga (disturbed by a call from Sis but, I let the answering machine pick up) and I dressed in jeans and long-sleeves, sprayed myself with mosquito repellent and sallied forth to fertilize some of my gardens. Unfortunately, I've run out of fertilizer but...I'm adding it to the list.

Sis' youngest son came to visit them this weekend. I drove over to their place (across the lake) and again, armed with mosquito repellent, hiked down to the spring to pick watercress with my nephew. Sis couldn't do it because she'd cut her toe. Her son did an EXCELLENT job of it. All I had to do was shove the cleanly cut watercress into bags. Poor guy cut himself with the scissors. Blood sacrifice. We ended up with four bags of watercress. The crop is abundant this year and the water level near the spring was pretty high. Perfect growing conditions for watercress. I was quite impressed with my nephew. He managed to collect the cleanest watercress that I've ever seen. When I got home with my share, I hardly had to wash it...of course, I did wash it. And, I enjoyed my first watercress salad of the season. Yum! Of course, I also added to my woodtick count. Just one...so...it was worth the hike, the heat, and the mosquitoes.

Tonight, I'll make another watercress salad to go with the oven-fried chicken thighs that I made (and enjoyed) last night. But, for right now, I'm thinking that I'll pour myself a glass of iced tea, take it out onto the deck, and enjoy the breeze. We're supposed to get storms tonight.

Random Quote of the Day

I'm not concerned about all hell breaking loose, but that a PART of hell will break loose... it'll be much harder to detect.

- George Carlin (1937 - 2008)

No comments: