Wednesday, May 28, 2014

My Earthbox Junior Arrived But....


Word of the Day

Aggravitch - An itch that that does not lessen with scratching but instead seems to spread to surrounding areas, causing immense annoyance and sometimes paranoia and self-mutilation.

Woodtick Count - 3

I plugged in a 75 minute exercise DVD and forced myself to Walk Away the Pounds...five miles, this morning. Then, after changing out of my sweaty workout clothes and into some work clothes, I went outside to spray weed and brush killer on my weeds and stubborn wild blackberry bramble. Then...I had to change into a third outfit because I got all sweaty again. The mosquitoes remain totally obnoxious and even though I don't react like I used to when I was a kid...the bites still itch for a bit, especially when the mosquito first bites. My blood must be very flavorful because they even bite me through my clothes and in direct sunshine. This behavior is NOT normal. Normally, I can spend all day outside until the sun starts going down or if I'm out in the shade of the woods. I really should have been mosquito free today. Mosquito repellent was an option but I refuse to dope myself up just to go out and spray for weeds or do a bit of gardening.

"Someone" knocked over one of my largest pots, messed with my hose and hose reel, and knocked over my mosquito trap last night. Bear? I don't think a raccoon would have been strong enough to do all that...but...a bear would have been that curious and that clumsy. A friend mentioned that I should put out cameras. Why bother? If it is a bear, what could I do about it. It's not like my Sig Sauer Mosquito would do anything more that make it mad.

Seasonal Toys came and picked up the big boat and plan to launch it for me. Meanwhile, I went down to the dock and installed the tie-downs which took a lot more effort that I remember. And then, I heard the phone ring so I had to run up to the house to see who was calling. I figured that it might be Seasonal Toys, telling me that there was something wrong with the boat. It wasn't. It was Sis. She wanted to ask me if I'd water all her plants for her while #1 BIL is in the hospital. Apparently, she's been busy and planted over $200 worth of plants which will need to be watered. *sigh* Yes, of course. After assuring her that I'd water her plants for her, I went back down to the dock and bailed out the rowboat. We got over an inch of rain yesterday. It looked like there was a lot more than that in the rowboat. I figure that bailing the boat is like doing lots of crunches while lifting weights but...my Fitbit doesn't recognize boat-bailing as an official exercise. Nor does it recognize climbing up and down stairs. Oh well...

Meanwhile, FedEx delivered my new Earthbox Junior. Unfortunately, even though I was supposed to receive potting mix with the package...I didn't. I was asked to send a picture of what was delivered to the supplier. I did. Now...let's see how long it takes them to send me my potting mix. All this for a sack of dirt?

Update:

They're sending me dirt. Plus, my big boat has been delivered to my dock...all tied up and my boat trailer secured in my driveway. I mixed of my homemade goat cheese (kefir leban) that has been draining for 48 hours in my kitchen, with chopped chives, minced fresh basil and sea salt. I formed it into a log, labeled it and froze it for future use. Then, I strained the kefir milk that I made with 2% milk. One quart in the fridge, and two more quart jars with grains and 2% milk on the counter...waiting to be strained tomorrow. And, I started a batch of Kefir sour cream which, hopefully, will be ready to use in 48 hours...about the time that the next batch of Kefir-Leban is ready to flavor. I need to buy more milk...tomorrow. Next? I've got a loaf of bread rising on the counter. I be baking some fresh bread and have a couple of slices of it with pickled herring for dinner tonight.

Random Quote of the Day

Keeping your body healthy is an expression of gratitude to the whole cosmos - the trees, the clouds, everything.

- Thich Nhat Hanh

No comments: