Friday, July 02, 2004

I found my son's blog. It probably shouldn't surprise me when I find that my children have opinions about current events. Somehow I always see them as little kids still. (My oldest daughter scribbling with crayons on the window sill, my youngest daughter trying to rescue that mouse in the corner of the closet, my son walking through a store despite the umbrella stroller he's strapped into.) Right now my son seems to have a fairly conservative viewpoint yet he's got an open independant mind. That's just fine. He'll just have to be very very careful when he starts school this fall. The school he's going to attend this fall has a definite leftist bend.

I concider myself an Independant...not Ralph Nadar. I'm always horrified when I hear teachers ridiculing independant thinking when it differs from their own thinking. Yes, this does happen. Apparently it's ok to be an Independant as long as you vote for a Democrat but if you happen to like a Republican candidate you're ridiculed as ignorant and stupid or just poorly informed. I don't think my son will have any problems at school with this attitude this fall but I hope he remains cautious. This is an election year. It's best to concentrate on getting an education and stay out of politics. I pray that he listens to and reads about both sides of a story not just what one side wants you to hear. I hope I've taught him that he should wait until he knows all the facts, not just the facts someone chooses to feed him. Sometimes it's best to keep your opinions to yourself. Smile and nod. And then go out and vote your conscience.

Life goes on. Whoever does finally enter the office of President of the United States, it'll last four years. Four more years? Who knows. In four years my son should be graduating from college. A lot can happen in four years but those four years in the course of history are just a blink or hiccup in time. Heavens! It seems like yesterday when my son was busily tossing all his toys out of the playpen. Life managed to continue through JFK, Johnson, Nixen, Carter, and Clinton. I make no judgements other then life will continue on through our next president no matter who that may be.

Murphyism of the Day

No matter how many pens may be in a household, there is never a pen around when you need one.

No matter how much paper may be in a household, it is never by the phone when you need it

The probability of finding scissors, glue, tape, pencils, or pens is directly related to how many children you have.

No comments: