Friday, July 16, 2004

OK.  They did it to me again.  They changed my blog format.  Yes, I suppose I can get used to this too but....
 
I've noticed that over half of the traffic on  my site has been from people who are worried about woodticks.  Life in Wisconsin is not totally idealic.  I can say that if there were no woodticks, mosquitoes, biting flies, hornets, excessive humidity or days where the temperature and the humidity make you feel like you live in tropical rainforest, Wisconsin would be my idea of heaven.  However, if Wisconsin were heaven, I would be dead.  Maybe there has to be some of those nasties to make you appreciate the rest of it.  And you're alive! 
 
I will say that I had to remove my own personal woodtick this morning for the first time.  Yes, it had stuck it's ugly little head into my shoulder.  I unstuck it, wrapped in tissue and flushed it.  I'll keep an eye on the bite area just in case that telltale bullseye rash shows up but it really wasn't attached for long enough to pass on any diseases.  You usually can figure that you're pretty safe if the woodtick has been imbedded less the 24 hours.  I probably picked up my little hitch-hiker while I was picking berries yesterday.  It wasn't there last night as I got ready for bed.  I know, I checked.  I always check.  I checked again this morning as I got dressed and I noticed a brand new mole.  I wish real moles were that easy to remove. 
 
HTP is going to be driving back to "The Big City"*  this morning to pick up #1 son from his college orientation.  #1 son called last night but HTP wasn't too clear about what the conversation was all about.  The call came in after I was already sleeping and HTP was awakened from "resting his eyes" in front of the TV.  HTP passed on a rather confused report that #1 son was asking for directions on how to get to the Union because he didn't have a mattress and there wasn't any wireless at the dorm?  Huh?  Oh well.  Hopefully we'll hear the real story tonight when #1 son gets back here.  He's supposed to register for his classes today and buy his books.  Knock on wood, all will go well.
 
Murphyism of the Day
 
Ferguson's Precept
 
A crisis is when you can't say "let's forget the whole thing."
 
The Unapplicable Law
 
Washing your car to make it rain doesn't work.
 
*Definition : The Big City (in bold letters) will henceforth refer to any city with more then one Best Buy and an airport with international flights.  The Yellow Pages come in a two volume set.  The big city (no bold letters) refers to any city with a Walmart, a Target, only one Best Buy but no international airport.  When I say that we drove into "the city", I refer to a place with a Walmart and two semi-major grocery stores.  I do not live in "the city".   It's a 20 minute drive to "the city".  It's a one and a half hour drive to "the big city".  It's a three hour drive to "The Big City".
 

No comments: