Friday, July 23, 2004

I must remember that weekenders are one of the major sources of income for our poor little town.  I must grit my teeth and bear it when weekenders come and disturb the peace.  What is going on with people these days?  When did common courtesy fly out the window?  When did people stop teaching their children how to behave?  It's Friday and weekenders have arrived.  They formed a floating island of a huge pontoon boat surrounded by two speed boats and too many people in the bay by my dock.  They fired up a grill on the center pontoon boat and proceeded to party.  It was like a tailgate party...in my backyard.  I am gritting my teeth.  Oops!  There goes a jet-skier!  Oh well...they have to go home at the end of the weekend.  I am home. 

I finished cleaning the raspberries that I picked yesterday.  I really should go out and pick more berries but I haven't recovered from yesterday's picking and I'm not sure if I can face cleaning yet another batch of berries.  I do have to make a dessert for tonight. 

I saw a really spectacular tree frog yesterday while I was out berry picking.  It was beautiful.  In all my years up here, I've never seen a frog like this before.  It was white!  To say it was white is to understate this frog's beauty.  The white I refer to was the irridescent white of a perfect opal.  It sparkled and glowed in the sun as it sat on one of the raspberry bush leaves.  On closer inspection, I was able to see that this frog did have some faint, pale green markings.  A perfect jewel in my woods.   He sat so still for me.  I wish I'd had a camera with me.  I considered bringing him back to the house with me but didn't want to risk harming the beautiful creature.  Oh well...another moment in Wisconsin that I'll have to keep safe in my memories.  I've spent over forty years out here at The Lake and I've seen many different species of frogs.  This was the first time I ever saw this particular jewel.  I wish I could tell you who he was but I haven't found any reference to him in any of my books or on the net.  Interesting.  Have I discovered a new variety of frog?  One never has a camera when one needs one. 

  
Murphyism of the Day

Generally speaking, there is never a camera around when there is a picture begging to be taken.  If there is a camera, there is no film or there is sure to be some other camera operator error. 
 
 


No comments: