Saturday, July 17, 2004

It's the  Annual Blue Gill Festival Weekend.  Our tiny little town is packed with tourists.  The lake is being churned to a froth by boaters, skiers, and little screaming kids in rafts.  It's a real good weekend to stay inside.  Instead, HTP and I went into town to tour the veneer factory.  They were celebrating their 100th year of existance.  They are also giving helicopter rides but I wasn't going to go that far.  A nice quiet tour of the factory was fine with me.   I got some neato keychains.
 
After our hour and a half tour which was very interesting (it was....I'm not kidding.  We'd never seen the inside of this factory before...any veneer factory for that matter), we went over to visit with my parents and sister across the lake.  My sister showed off her new hole in the ground (they're adding onto and totally remodeling their existing cabin).  It's always neat to see remodeling like this.  My father drew up the remodeling plans.  Actually, he designed the original structure which used to belong to my grandparents. 
 
I went fishing.  I caught five bass.  Four of the bass were just shy of legal (all four were more or less 13 inches...legal is 15 inches) so I had to release them back into the lake.  The fifth bass was 17 inches which was well over the legal length limit so I got to keep that one.  I did catch another bass but....it got away.   Yes, it was huge.  No, I can't prove it.  It broke my line.  Now I have to put all new line on my reel and re-rig.  Drat!  Anyway, at least I got it close enough to the dock to see it before it broke my line and stole my hook.   Anyway, I cleaned up the one bass and three bluegill that I caught too and baked them up for supper.  The fish tasted really, really, really, good. 
 
I'm going to pick wild raspberries again tomorrow.   
 
Murphyism of the Day 
 
No one is ever around as a witness when the biggest fish breaks your line.

No comments: