Friday, August 06, 2004

Although I call myself The Old Grey Frog, I haven't decided to let my hair go grey yet. I know that I will have to bite the bullet and go grey one of these days but not yet. I used to have my hair professionally colored every three to four months after deciding that my dishwater blonde hair wasn't to my liking. And then my hair started turning this wonderful shade of white-grey. My hair grows at an unusually rapid rate. No sooner then one month after I spent a great deal of money getting my hair dyed, I was developing a skunk line on my part-line. By the time I allowed my hair to grow for the full three months they recommend before redying one's hair, I had a full blown skunk streak. I even tried having my hair streaked with blonde streaks to mask the skunk line. This was not working. It was at this point that I decided to have all my hair cut into a boy's cut and let my hair go grey. I like short hair. My husband doesn't.

I decided to start re-dyeing my hair when my best friend took one look at me after my return from my summer at The Lake. She blurted out in shock, "You've got grey hair!" OK. I decided to try a semi-permanent hair color and dye my own hair. The box promised that the color would gradually fade in 24 shampoos. I was hoping that this would solve the skunk streak problem. I was saving money and how hard could it be? Not too hard with short hair. The only problem with dyeing your own hair is this feeling of panic when that dye turns bizarre colors. Is my hair going to turn purple like that? The color (no...it didn't turn purple) did gradually fade and the skunk streak problem was a thing of the past.

I dyed my hair today. It's the first time I've dyed my hair in months. It's getting harder to dye my own hair now that my hair is longer. Shoulder length. I suppose I could have a professional dye my hair with a semi-permanent dye but I refuse to admit defeat...yet. I still have a bit of a problem with the bizarre color panic. I never really know what color my hair will become until the towel comes off and I style my hair. I have to admit that there are times that the color isn't all that great. Good thing it fades. Oh well...you get what you pay for.

Murphyism of the Day

Schopenhauer's Law of Entropy

If you put a spoonful of wine in a barrel full of sewage, you get sewage.

If you put a spoonful of sewage in a barrel of wine, you get sewage.

No comments: