Thursday, August 19, 2004

A Mouse Tail

When we have company here at The Lake, we try to take our guests for a boat ride and tour...if the weather is nice. Faithfully, last Sunday, we bundled our guests into warm winter jackets because no matter the temperature it gets dang cold when HTP speeds across the water, and we took them for a boat ride. It was cold but sunny and blessedly quiet because the weekenders had departed. As we pulled away from the dock, HTP at the helm (a rather pretentious word to use for an 18' fishing boat), we roared (well it is a 90hp motor) down the lake. I was sitting in the seat at the bow of the boat...our guests were sitting aft. All of a sudden there were gasps and laughter from our guests. HTP just gasped. He was not amused. LOOK!!!! I looked. There, right next to me, was a mouse. A cute little mouse. It looked a bit unhappy. It(I refer to the mouse as an it because I really didn't have a way of checking for gender) was scurrying along the bow of the boat. I think HTP disturbed the poor thing. I don't think it particularly cared for the way HTP was navigating the boat. HTP demanded that I kick "it" into the water. I turned and glared at HTP. The mouse scurried to safety and hid by the front anchor. I think it must have caught the negative vibes that HTP was throwing from his aura. I proceeded to tell HTP that the poor thing wasn't hurting anyone and that we should just leave it alone. Our guests didn't condemn my reluctance to "kick it into the lake". I suspect that the poor thing hid in the front of my boat because I wasn't throwing out negative vibes. We continued on our tour of the lake. As we reached the confines of the channel, HTP necessarily slowed the speed of our boat. The channel is a No Wake Zone. The mouse came out again from its hiding spot near the anchor. The mouse looked at me. We all looked at the mouse. The mouse turned and then...I swear...it cupped its front paws into a perfect diving point and it dove off the boat into the cool water of the channel right by the dock of those people who keep coming and parking in front of our dock with their pontoon flotilla. It was a fine dive. I like to imagine that it will soon be fruitful and multiply in the cabin of those wonderful weekenders. I wish it well.

Murphyism of the Day

Gates' Law

The only important information in a hierarchy is who knows what.

No comments: