Thursday, August 05, 2004

We've got a dead deer marking the entrance to our driveway. I can only assume that someone hit the deer with their car and sped off leaving the remains for someone else to clean up. The remains are decomposing rapidly. The remains don't smell nice. The flies are prolific. My son saw someone in a pickup truck yesterday checking out the remains. I don't know why they were there overseeing the deer. Maybe they were looking for a bit of roadkill for their freezer. Evidently it didn't pass inspection since (pardon the irreverant pun) the deer remains.

This morning some poor gal rang our doorbell. She'd hit a black lab with her car and was wondering if the dog was ours. Apparently the black lab was checking out the dead deer remains and decided to dart out in front of her car. I can only guess at the fate of that poor black lab judging from the damage I could see to this woman's car.

We called the sheriff. Eventually the dead deer will be removed from the entrance to our driveway by whatever authority that's responsible for this dreaded duty. I don't know what the outcome was for the black lab. Out here in our rural community people tend to let their dogs run free. I'm not always sure a dog owner is doing their dog any favors by letting them run free. I still have vivid memories of a dog we lost when I was young...hit by a car, lying like a broken doll at the side of the road. I'm sure that poor lady who hit the dog will have a hard time getting over the event. I know that I've been dwelling on it all day even though there wasn't anything that I could have done. I don't want to think about how the owners of that black lab are feeling right now.

And I have a dead deer marking the entrance of my driveway.

Murphyism of the Day

Ken's Law

A flying particle will seek the nearest eye.

No comments: