Monday, March 04, 2013

Huge Grapefruit that my Neighbor Gave Me















Word of the Day

Thrux - Something that is the absolute core and driving force behind something.

I made one batch of Pompelmcello from the grapefruit that my neighbor gave me. Making any of my "cello"s takes months. This is an experiment. I KNOW how my Limoncello and Arancello turns out. Well worth the effort. This the first time I've tried making a "cello" from grapefruit so...one batch. No point in investing time, effort and expense in something that may not be worth the effort. On the otherhand, it might. Worth a small gamble. One batch worth of gamble. I started this project back in December. Today, I scooped out the grapefruit zest from where it was giving up its oils into the Everclear/vodka mix. After filtering the mixture twice, I added simple syrup. Now...it has to sit in a cool dark spot for another 45 days. Patience. In the meantime, nothing edible was wasted. I juiced and froze several quarts of grapefruit juice that I plan to bring to The Lake this summer. If this Pompelmcello turns out, it should add a nice kick to a Salty Dog.

Random Quote of the Day

To become acquainted with kindness one must be prepared to learn new things and feel new feelings. Kindness is more than a philosophy of the mind. It is a philosophy of the spirit.

Robert J. Furey

No comments: