Friday, October 24, 2003

6 Days Before My Daughter's Wedding.

Everything was going according to plan. We rushed out and made it just in time for our appointment at the Design Center for our new home. Our appointment lasted 4 long hours. For the first three hours my husband taught the design center staff all about Cat5 wiring (I think they should have paid him for the class) and showed them exactly where he wanted the outlets and what type of outlets to be placed in each of the rooms in our new house. He then talked to someone who knew what he was talking about. Let's face it. Not too many people living and building in an Active Adult Community know much about Cat5 wiring. Del Webb is proud of the fact that their homes all have Cat5 wiring. They boast about it. People buy their houses and seem pleased as punch that they have it. But not many of them know what the heck it is or what to do with it now that they have it. My husband knows what it is and is prepared to upgrade from the standard. We are the new breed of Active Adult. Del Webb better start expecting this sort of thing. Electrical engineers eventually do retire and want to live somewhere. But they still want their toys. The last hour of our appointment was spent choosing flooring, countertops, and landscaping. This they understood. They loved me. I actually spoke their language. Cat5 took 3 hours. The rest of the house took only one hour.

And then we called home because we were running late. Gasp! Oh my goodness! We find out that today is our future son-in-law's birthday! Happy Birthday! We ran out to the store to quickly find a present, a card, and gift wrap. What does one get one's future son-in-law? OK. He loves coffee. I bought him a coffee grinder and some coffee. We're talking about a quick stop at the grocery store on the way home. He loved it. So there! We took our future son-in-law and our daughter out for supper to celebrate. Happy Birthday! They brought him a free piece of mudpie and sang the Happy Birthday song.

One more fire put out. Tomorrow I have to go to church to practice the music I'll have to play for the Sunday after I get back from the wedding. And I have to quickly get a wedding shower organized for the night before the wedding. My suite. 8:30 PM. Bring a gag gift. If my other daughter reads this she'll know but I suppose I'd better email her just in case.

Today's Little Bit of Trivia.

Aluminum was spelled "aluminium" until 1925 in the U.S. I remember having to relearn the spelling of aeroplane, colour, and theatre while I was going to school. And then there was that little bit of confusion about the front and back door. My teacher and the book kept telling me that the front door of a person's house was the door that was most often used. OK. So I kept placing the front door at the back of the house. And she kept marking it wrong. She even called in my mother. It took them a while to figure out why the heck I was so stubborn about placing the front door at the rear of the house. I was just going by the definition given in the book and by the teacher. My teacher even tried to tell me that the front door was the one where the doorbell was located. Hah! We had three doors on our house. Eliminating the side door where the old doorbell had been removed. We had a doorbell on the other two doors too. No help there. She must have thought I was hopelessly dyslexic. Our "front" door was one that no-one really used except when we had company like the minister or company on holidays. That darn door had the trickiest latch! You had to throw your hip into it in order to unlock or lock it. I wonder if the new owners ever fixed that?

No comments: