Wednesday, October 22, 2003

8 Days Before My Daughter's Wedding. Actually, we leave in exactly one week. A smart man recently commented that I shouldn't sweat the nuts. I'm not sure exactly what he meant. The Jordan Almonds? Or was he referring to families being like fudge...mostly sweet, with a few nuts. Probably both. He tends to favor double entendre.

I've decided that things could be worse. Don't ask me for clarification of that. I always think of someone innocently telling the photographer for an outside shoot on a grey and dreary day that "Things could be worse?" The photographer absently replies, "How's that?". At that point, the heavens open and the rain pours, lightening strikes, and the whole town is flooded. Yes, things could be worse.

I took my daughter for her fitting yesterday. " Oops! We're sorry! We made a mistake." We were supposed to feel better because the petticoat we ordered was there and "Isn't the ring-bearers pillow that you ordered lovely?" For some reason that I can not fathom, they didn't connect the dress with the order. Nor were they concerned that there was an order that was supposed to be completed by a certain time but they couldn't find a dress to match the order? Of course, no-one bothered to call me about the confusion. This was supposed to be my daughter's final fitting. We leave in a week for the wedding. They hadn't even touched the dress since we went in for the initial fitting three weeks ago. I've been promised that the entire job (and we're talking major alterations here) will completed by 3 PM this afternoon...even if they have to work all night long. Needless to say, my daughter was and is upset. What sort of quality work can be done with so little time available? She has visions of walking down the aisle with seams splitting and her gown falling apart halfway down the aisle leaving her standing in her petticoat. I had to take her to coffee and calm her down. I told her that things like this happen and that everything will turn out just fine. Since she doesn't have a computer and she won't be reading this I can tell you that I'm upset too. I have nightmares of going there today and finding out that they've shortened the dress, not from the waistband as they are supposed to and promised, but by cutting 6 inches off the bottom of the beautifully embroidered and beaded skirt of the dress and then have them tell me that that's what they thought I wanted them to do. Ruin the dress!

Yes, things can be worse but I refuse to speculate. I prefer to put my rose colored glasses back on and go into that final final fitting today with rosy expectations. But just in case, I think I'd better make sure that my daughter doesn't come to the fitting armed with any sharp objects. She sounded a bit like she was ready to kill someone yesterday....and it wasn't me. That's a plus.

Today's Little Bit of Trivia

Turkeys are not from Turkey. They are from North America. I personally know of a few that work at a certain bridal shop in Arizona.

No comments: