Friday, January 16, 2004

I love to read. I always have loved to read and can't remember a time when I didn't like to read. I jealously hoard and store my books so I can reread them at some future date when I have to endure an author's dryspell or just when I want to reread a past favorite. It becomes painfully obvious when I have to pack up my books every time that we move, that I have a real problem getting rid of even one of my books. It's a painful wrench to my soul when I pack up even the most poorly written books for a donation box. I still have all my old Golden Books. Apparently some of them have become quite valuable. I always knew that they were. I've got my Laura Ingalls Wilder books. The entire collection. I have all my Man From U.N.C.L.E. books. I have my Get Smart books. I have my old Georgette Heyer books too which have become well worn and well read over the years. I just don't have the ability to donate my favorite books and companions.

Yesterday, I spent the day packing up my ever increasing collection of books. I have the sore muscles to show for it today. They took up eighteen small book boxes. I haven't even started packing up my cookbooks...or my favorite "keepers" which I can't stand parting with for the few months that it will take to sell this house. I went out and bought three more books this morning. I already read one of them while I recuperate from the sore muscles created from my book packing of yesterday. I read fast...too bad my muscles don't recover as fast as I read. The book is another "keeper". Single White Vampire by Lynsay Sands. One of the other books that I bought is written by Lynsay Sands too. All of my limited will-power is necessary to resist starting on the other two books that I purchased. I'll be good. I may have to hide them for a few days. I may have to go out to a used book store to see if I can find any more books by Lynsay Sands that I can add to my collection.

Today's Little Bit of Trivia

Fruit Bat Soup is a delicacy from Micronesia made with fruit bats. For the soup, the meat of the fruit bat is simmered in water, ginger, and onion and topped off with scallions, soy sauce, and coconut cream. Sounds much better then the fruit soup that I was forced to eat as a child.

No comments: