Tuesday, May 25, 2004

17 Days Before We Head to Wisconsin

Fraud

I was thinking yesterday that I was really having a hard time finding something to write about. And then...

There are some really awful people in this world. I'm not naive. I know that there are bad people out there in the world. I try not to dwell on it but sometimes it just hits you in the face. Last night as my husband was sitting down to write checks to pay our bills, he noticed something strange when he was looking at our account online. There were all kinds of checks drawn on our account that we didn't write. We could access the copies of the actual checks that this person wrote but although he was using our account number, our name wasn't on the checks They were various checks with various addresses for various people all cashed from various locales here in Arizona. It was our account but our names weren't on the checks. We're talking about fraud! Someone was and is systematically draining our checking account! I know I shouldn't get so upset. We won't be responsible for the loss...eventually. But it makes me mad! Now there is just one more thing on my list of things to take care of before we head out to Wisconsin. At least I think it's only one thing. We have to close our checking account, report all the checks that we actually wrote that haven't been cashed as yet, and open up a whole new account! I hope our savings account hasn't been affected! It's not like this is the first time something has happened to us like this. Some people are lucky enough that this may never happen to them. The last time something like this happened to us I was mad too but I felt somewhat responsible. The last time, someone stole our outgoing mail which we'd put in our mailbox with red flag, washed our checks and cashed them. Note to self after that...never put outgoing mail into a personal mailbox. The red flag is just a sign for theives to come steal your mail. But this time, I have no idea why they picked our account or how they even got a hold of our account number. HTP says it's kind of like the lottery...we got "lucky" and our number was picked. I hate this. I don't know if I'm going to have to deal with bounced checks or what. Thank goodness for the internet! I wish we'd checked the account sooner. Who knows how many checks are going to be coming in tonight yet that are frauds? Why didn't the bank catch these bad checks? Don't they check to make sure that the account numbers on the checks match the account holders? Times they are a changing...for the worse.

Murphyism of the Day

Oien's Observation

The quickest way to find something is to start looking for something else.

Boob's Law

You always find something in the last place you look.

Today's Little Bit of Trivia

Artichoke-growing region Castroville, California, proudly claims to have the "World's Largest Artichoke."

No comments: