Sunday, May 02, 2004

40 Days Before We Head to Wisconsin

We (#1 son and I) spent the morning at church. We played for two services and I had an hour long practice for the contemporary group before that. Three hours of clarinet playing and my lip is still going strong. Poor clarinet needed a bit of work. A spring had sprung before the first of the two services so I had to operate in order to unsprung it. My only tool was a pocket knife. Yes...I did cut myself but I fixed my clarinet in time for the first song. What's a little sacrifice and bloodletting for a good cause?

I'm still waiting for someone to help hang one large oil painting, one large lithograph, and one large mirror. All this must be done before someone can hang one large Italian chandelier so cupboard space is freed up for some of the stuff that #1 son wants to bring to Birchwood. Right now all that stuff if stuffed into the guest room with very little room left over for sleeping and computering.

I did get my milk cactus planted yesterday. It's hiding behind my golf cart garage. I didn't apply to the landscape committee for permission to plant it there but I'm hoping that since you can't see that area from the street, no-one will notice or mind. It's not like I've planted a flock of flamingo's in my front yard with hand-carved whirligigs, or garden gnomes or other tumbleweed catchers. I checked on the milk cactus this morning and it seems happy in its new location. I set a couple of guardian frogs on either side of it to keep it company. Very tasteful! And hidden behind the golf cart garage.

Today's Little Bit of Trivia

"Bagels are believed to have been invented in the 17th century, but there is some debate about their exact origin. They might be Polish--text from Krakow, Poland, written in 1610 refers to beygls being good gifts for new mothers--possibly because they make good teething rings, which many people still use them for today.
Another theory says that an Austrian baker wanted to make a gift for King John III Sobieski of Poland after he saved the city of Vienna from Turkish invaders in 1683. King John was famous for his horsemanship, so the baker made a roll in the shape of a stirrup. (Bagels used to be much thinner, with bigger holes.) The Austrian-German word for stirrup: beugel, or bugel." (From Uncle John's Unstoppable Bathroom Reader)

No comments: