Monday, May 03, 2004

39 Days Before We Head to Wisconsin

I can no longer complain...at least about HTP not installing that chandelier and those wall hangings. HTP stepped up to the plate and installed the dining room chandelier, the oil painting, the hall mirror, the lithograph, AND the Two Grey Hills Indian rug. It took five hours of hard cooperative work (I helped because there is no way that one person could do any of the above...otherwise I might have been able to do it myself), but we got it all done and all before Sopranos came on.

This morning I looked around the living room and dining room and decided that there comes a time when it's time to stop. My mother-in-law once told me about a painting class that she took. She was painting a picture that I now have hung on my wall. The class teacher came up to her and grabbed the paint brush from her hand saying, "Stop! It's done! It's perfect!" The thing about decorating and painting is that you have to know when to stop. I still have a couple more paintings to install and a shadow box but I'm going to wait until I get back from Wisconsin before I do anything with them...well...maybe I'll just hang that one painting in my bathroom...but the rest will have to wait.

I need something still for over my bed. I don't have any works of art that my father has done yet. I wonder if I can get him to donate to the cause. I have artwork from almost everyone in the family (past and present). Come to think of it...I don't have anything that my mother has done or that my one daughter (not Mink) has done either. Pout! Come on guys! Get busy! Find something for me. I'll find a spot...really. Which reminds me...I need to go out and get that photograph that #1 son took for his photography class framed. I know just where I'll hang it.

I've started a new bathroom book. It's called The Complete Murphy's Law, A Definitive Collection by Arthur Bloch. I don't remember buying this book. I wonder if someone gave it to me as a gift. I'm actually a fairly optimistic person so this book is a bit pessimistic for me but as a native Minnesotan it tweeks my sense of humor. I'm going to start a Murphyism segment to this blog for all you latent pessimists. I'm never going to give credit again to the above book so all you readers, please take note to the above. Let us now thank Arthur Bloch for writing such a fine book.

Murphyism of the Day

Murphy's Law, for all those of you who've never heard of it, clearly and simply states that: If anything can go wrong, it will. Let's expand on this simple statement.

1. Nothing is as easy as it looks.
2. Everything takes longer than you think it will.
3. If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that will cause the most damage will be the one to go wrong.
4. If you perceive that there are four possible ways in which a procedure can go wrong, and circumvent these, then a fifth way will promptly develop.
5. Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse.
6. Whenever you set out to do something, something else must be done first.
7. Every solution breeds new problems.
8. It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
9. Nature always sides with the hidden flaw.
10. Mother nature is a bitch.

Smile. Tomorrow will be worse.

Today's Little Bit of Trivia

To attract patrons to his circus, P.T. Barnum would often hitch a plow to an elephant and have it work fields next to the big top. One farmer got so angry about his field being torn up that he pushed a bill through the state legislature. To this day it's illegal to plow a field with an elephant in North Carolina.

No comments: