Monday, May 10, 2004

32 Days Before We Head to Wisconsin

Darn it! They've changed the way I have to do my blog again! I hate it when they do that! It always takes me a while to figure out the new and easier versions. And it doesn't stop there. I have to teach my laptop and my other computer in Wisconsin how to use this new and easier blog setup too. Oh well, I suppose I'll get used to this version too. I just wish my site meter worked.

I hope everyone had a Happy Mother's Day yesterday. I did. Mink called and I got to talk to her for a little while which was really nice. I wish she could have been here but driving cross country for about 1400 miles to see your Mom for the day is a bit too much to expect. I didn't go see my Mom (Sorry Mom...I'll be up to see you tomorrow if you and Dad haven't already left for Wisconsin) and I'm a lot closer (about 5 hours) geographically speaking to her then Mink is to me. I'm looking forward to seeing Mink in a little over a month.

My other daughter came over and with #1 son's help made us dinner. Chicken Marsala, parsley buttered new potatoes, fresh green beans and bread dipped in oil and balsamic vinegar. We all sat down and watched Lilo and Stitch. I had the DVD but hadn't had a chance to watch it. (I've got Cat in the Hat too. Maybe next Mother's Day, they'll let me see that one.) After the movie, we all enjoyed Tiramiso for dessert. I'm looking forward to the leftovers of the dessert and I'm sure I gained at least ten pounds.

Tomorrow, HTP and I are going to run away from home for a few days. Most of the unpacking is done. #1 son's black eyes that he got while moshing are starting to get better. With any luck, we'll be out of here tomorrow right after breakfast. I'm looking forward to getting out of here for a while. No more boxes, no more bubblewrap, no more decisions to make. The only worry I want is which food to pick from the menu, what type of beer I want to drink, and whether I should save a low pair or dump it in favor of 3 to the royal. If you don't see a blog from me in the next few days, it's either because my laptop refuses to learn this new blog format, I've won the big jackpot, or I'm too busy trying to win the big jackpot. If you do see a blog from me, it's because I've been driven up to my room by a cigar smoker or I've gotten tired of failing to win the big jackpot.

Invasion of the Scorpions

I'm talking on the phone with my parents when I happen to glance down at the floor. Ahhhh!!!!! A scorpion!!!!! A real live scorpion with pincers pincing and tail coiling and uncoiling. Not one of those tourist things encased in a fun acrylic cube. OK. It wasn't enormous and it was only one scorpion, but it was inside my house! My house! No scorpions allowed! It's not posted but it's an unwritten law and besides, I don't think that scorpions know how to read or I'd post it. Why else would I hire a full-time pest control expert? HTP and I managed to "dispatch" the creature with the skillful deployment of two pancake flippers which are now being sanitized in my dishwasher. HTP flushed the severed remains of the scorpion down the toilet. *Shudder* I don't do well with bugs. I do worse with bugs that sting. I do even worse then that with bugs that can kill you. Actually I'm told that scorpions aren't bugs. I don't care! Close enough. HTP and son had better start checking their shoes before they put them on. I don't wear shoes but I plan to check my sandals and keep a closer eye on the floor. Good thing I have green carpet. Bad thing that my tile floor is the same color as a scorpion. *Shudder*

Murphyism of the Day

Finagle's First Law

If an experiment works, something has gone wrong.

Finagle's Second Law

No matter what the anticipated result, there will always be someone eager to (a) misinterpret it, (b) fake it, or (c) believe it happened to his or her pet theory.

Finagle's Third Law

In any collection of data, the figure most obviously correct, beyond all need of checking, is a mistake.

Corallaries

1. No one whom you ask for help will see it.
2. Everyone who stops by with unsought advice will see it immediately.

Finagle's Fourth Law

Once a job is fouled up, anything done to improve it only makes it worse.

Finagle's Rules

1. To study a subject best, understand it thoroughly before you start.
2. Always keep a record of data--it indicates you've been working.
3. Always draw your curves, then plot your reading.
4. In case of doubt, make it sound convincing.
5. Experiments should be reproducible--they should all fail in the same way.
6. Do not believe in miracles--rely on them.

Today's Little Bit of Trivia

Some famous Italian paintings of the Last Supper show a cat at the feet of Jesus. The fickle cat symbolizes Judas' role as traitor.

No comments: